Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Kali as main operating system?

Using Kali as main operating system?

Is Kali Linux a dependable daily/main operating system? That is of course knowing how to navigate and use linux. Are there any other sorts of programs for added security i should install such as PeerBlock? Is it true you dont need antivirus on linux? I have heard this before but would just like confirmation from a community that would know better than anyone. Thanks folks!

Kali Linux is a security distribution which is designed for penetration testing and other similar topics.

Most of the tools included in Kali require root to run which is not recommended for a day to day operating system. Due to the purpose of Kali (mentioned above) you may have issues while installing some applications or features that you require on a daily basis.

If you want my opinion on it, I would run it inside a Virtual Machine.

Excellent I greatly appreciate it!

I'm using kali as my primary operating system (kde 64 version) because it really likes my hardware (ao756)-- better than anything else i've tried. The only thing you really have to do is set up a regular user. You would still want to be root to run any of the pentesting tools, but you'd just have to log out and log back in. I'm sorry offsec, but I think you accidentally, made something for everyday use.

From what I've read, I wouldn't recommend it. This is a very specialized distro. I would only use it for pentest from a persistent USB.

Quote Originally Posted by ndrwgn View Post
    I'm using kali as my primary operating system (kde 64 version) because it really likes my hardware (ao756)-- better than anything else i've tried. The only thing you really have to do is set up a regular user. You would still want to be root to run any of the pentesting tools, but you'd just have to log out and log back in. I'm sorry offsec, but I think you accidentally, made something for everyday use.
    Actually it is possible to use it as an everyday OS, you could do the same with Backtrack. The main point is that it's main purpose is not to be used in everyday tasks

I remember back when i used Backtrack 5 R3 as my main OS, i believe i was compromised. I could hear my GPU and CPU fans struggling after not touching the keyboard/mouse for about 10 minutes. I felt like someone was running a bitcoin miner on my pc, which is pointless considering its only got an nvidia 8800gts. Anyways, i would like to set up a persistent USB device to run Kali on, but would i just follow the tutorials set up for backtrack persistent usb? How about setting up a user included in the sudoers file if i chose to use it as a main OS? Thanks for the replies by the way

@HDD2,

You can find a guide on how to install Kali on USB on the docs: http://docs.kali.org/

I am also using Kali as my every day distro in the same way ndrwgn stated, by running as a regular user and switching to root for pentesting. I actually believe that (with the exception of Arch) this is the smoothest and fastest OS I have run on any of my machines. (Using gnome 64 bit, A8 3500m cpu, HD 6750m gpu).

What I have done was made a less privileged user for everyday use and have just ran a second OS in a VM, with Kali as a host.