Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Win32 Disk Imager did not work for me either. If you have access to a Linux box you can use the supported method of dd. If you don't you can use the UNSUPPORTED method of unetbootin. Just be sure to edit the syslinux.cfg like my other post says. I realize you are going to EFI boot the machine but fix syslinux.cfg just in case.
    On my macbook pro (2008, Santa Rosa), using the dd command exactly as shown on http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...ive-USB-on-MAC
    sudo dd if=kalilinux.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=512 conv=noerror,sync

does NOT result in a readable FAT partition. So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).

However, ignoring the "just in case", I went ahead and booted from USB, with the following result:

Code:
    rEFInd - Booting OS

Starting bootx64.efi
    Using load options ' '
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Error: Not Found returned from bootx64.efi

* Hit any key to continue *
    1) the first thing I noticed is that following the directions on this page results in /EFI/Boot/ - not /EFI/BOOT/ ... I am assuming that case sensitivity may be an issue
    2) i'm a little disturbed that the boot messages are using the windows backslash \EFI\BOOT\
    3) the file downloaded from 3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ is actually named BOOTX64.efi - not bootx64.efi as shown in the error message. I'm not sure that case sensitivity matters, since the error is apparently returned from bootx64.efi
    4) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi (rather, there is /EFI/Boot/grub.cfg)
    5) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi

This seems nitpicky, I know, but the devil is in the details. A great start in resolving this would be a definitive 'translation' of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format to /syslinux.cfg format. There are major differences that the grub/grub2 newbie might not be able to parlay...

NOTE: I'm probably going to try the instructions at:
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

which shows
    Code:
    dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k
    (without the conv=noerror,sync) to see if that results in a readable FAT partition, obviating the need to deal with the problems above.

Quote Originally Posted by infomaniac View Post
    So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).
    OK. Is the fat32 partition the only partition on the drive? If not what is the partition layout?
    EFI files must reside on a fat32 partition and fat32 partitions are NOT case sensitive.

Syslinux is its own bootloader. Syslinux does not use grub.cfg. If you used unetbootin to create the thumb and boot in BIOS mode then you are booting using syslinux and not grub.

You can try the grub.cfg I just posted. Just don't don't ever run grub-update. Starting with grub2 the grub.cfg is actually generated by scripts. You can replace the script version with the one I posted but if you run grub-update it will be overwritten.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Hi thanks for guide.
    My problem is on step 2). I'd tried both live usb install (win32 disk...and dd) but still can't mount it with write perms.
    I encounter the same issues, someone have find a solution different than the windows way ?
    I've tried to boot directly on live usb (key alt) without write the /EFI/BOOT, but my usb isn't detected...

Regards,
    Hlx

EDIT:
    I've found a solution. I partitioned in two my USB on FAT32, once for kali iso the other for EFI.
    And after dd kali iso i can set /EFI/Boot/* files in second partition.
    It works until grub. When i arrive to grub menu, i have all choices. but when i select Kali Graphical Install or others it said:
    Code:
    error: unknown command 'linuxefi'.
    error: unknown command 'initrdefi'.
    I assume that is a problem between mac and grub and i search on google but don't find any answer...
    I continue to search and if someone have solution please end my pain

Notes: Macbook Pro late 2011 (8.1), Grub v1.99, KaliLinux i386.
    Last edited by Hlx; 2013-04-27 at 07:14.