Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lok_Sigma View Post
    You may like to review the how-to I posted here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-encrypted-USB. Some of the problems you are having are related to the EFI boot process and the interactions with GRUB. If you follow the instructions at the above link carefully, you may find your problems are resolved with the added benefit of WDE.
    Yes, EXTREMELY carefully. I think that your instructions, although incredibly thorough, applicable, and above all useful they may be a little too advanced, judging by the volume of "Man! Me, too!" posts. I'm not trying to sound harsh or anything, I just read so many of, "MacBook Pro checking in, same here!" posts that flooded the thread with nothing useful to report that when I figured it out, I felt insulted. It's almost as if the simplest solutions have been hidden on purpose.

As far as the EFI and its interaction with GRUB goes, this is what worked for me..

1) If you get to the GRUB menu, but get an error like, "file system not recognized," edit that boot option to say...
    2) Instead telling GRUB to read from (hd0,1), change it to (hd1,1)

I always remind myself that GRUB doesn't use the same "language" that we're all used to, being Linux users. I don't wanna seem preachy or anything, long day.. Anyway, I just think, "/dev/sda = (hd0,1), so if I'm using a USB to boot from, then /dev/sdb = (hd1,1)". I hope it helps someone else out there, and if this was actually proposed as a solution and I missed it, my bad.

Thank you for your replies. I solved the problem. Because GRUB boots from flash drive then it is the known as hd0,1. And if your hdd is gpt, file system error can be solved by changing hd0,1 to hd0,gpt1 or the boot partition.