Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

I used rufus as well to set the bootable disk and was able to then use bofh28's directions. I did have to add the additional items from bootx64.efi download (i.e. grubx64.efi and MokManager.efi) in order for it to work. However, after I chose the EFI boot device from my Macbook Pro and used the default Kali (non persistent) choice in grub I get to the next screen and it hangs at "Secure boot not enabled". Is this an issue with the grub.cfg or did I miss a step somewhere?

Sorry I don't have a Macbook to help.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Is there a way that a video tutorial can made to demonstrate this procedure? It'll be very helpful for some of use are visual learners...

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    The Kali iso does not support being used as a EFI bootable source out of the box. This is easily fixed.
    1) Create a bootable USB thumb drive of Kali using the directions at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install
    2) On the thumb drive create the following folder structure /EFI/Boot
    3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    This is an EFI bootable version of GRUB 2.00 from Fedora.
    4) create a text file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot
    The contents are:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS
    #
    # Linux Grub
    # -------------------------
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #
    # root=UUID=dc08e5b0-e704-4573-b3f2-cfe41b73e62b persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz
    }

5) Reboot the computer and bring up the one time boot screen and select your usb thumb drive under the EFI section.
    You now have a usb thumb drive that can boot a BIOS and EFI system.

If you want to EFI install Kali to your computer then select the graphical or text install and continue as follows.
    6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit
    7) The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. The installer is even kind of enough to make your new Kali Linux installation the default boot source. If you are dual booting Windows 7 EFI, there will be no option for Windows 7 at the grub menu.
    To add a Windows 7 option to the menu do the following:
    Create the following file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add an entry like this:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    set root=(hd0,gpt1)
    chainloader /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    }
    You may have to change the set root line to reflect your system.
    By adding the menuentry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom the option will continue to remain on the menu even after you do a update-grub.

Have fun EFI booting your system!
    What am I suppose to do with bootx64.efi? Am I suppose to put it in the /EFI/Boot? Or do you place it in root directory? Also, I am able to boot from the USB when I go into my computers BIOS and switch to legacy boot. However, when I go to create my /boot partition I don't have the option to create an EFI boot partition. I only have the option to create a normal Linux boot partition.

You have to put bootx64.efi in /EFI/Boot/

What are you using to create the partitions? If you are using the installer to create the partitions the problem might be you booted in BIOS mode. Try again in EFI mode. Also all you need is for the first primary partition be formatted fat32 for it work properly. If you want to get hypertechnical there is EFI system partition in the installer you can too.

i succed dual booting windows 7 64 bit and kli linux 64 bit under uefi mode... first u need universal usb installer latest version which u can find it here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    then on step 1 :select linux distribution "kali linux" step 2 : ur kali linux amd64.iso step 3 : select ur pendrive. u can tick the format: (ur pendrive letter), on step 4 u can set how many mb u want to use for presistence. let say kali linux amd64 use around 2.2 gb on u pendrive, then u have extra 1.8 gb space on ur 4 gb pendrive then u set it 1500mb on presistence (this is optional)... after all are complete click create.. then wait until its done.. after that u download bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ . open ur pendrive thats u create before for kali linux then make this folder EFI, open it and create Boot folder, now inside the Boot folder that we cut and paste that two files we download before bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi. after that create a text file named grub.cfg in the /EFI/Boot/ , copy and paste the content from #1 post from bofh28.save it.. after all are done then reboot ur computer and press esc during boot... select ur uefi: usb kali linux.. congrats u r now booting kali linux on uefi mode.. u can select graphical installation...during installation u have this network problem.something about network interface firmware is missing. dont worry all u need is ethernet cable.. connect ur internet using ethernet cable to ur router. after all r done on partition follow like what op said create "At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive".
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit" The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. when first u restart u computer there will be windows 7 at the grub menu.. but the windows 7 on the grub menu u will not able to boot it up. it will state "invalid : EFI file path.. start ur kali linux..ok open computer, then select file system.. in the file system go to etc folder, inside etc folder look for grub.d folder. select the grub.d folder, open file 40_custom using leafpad copy this and paste it.

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod chain
    set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
    chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }

save it. then open ur teminal update-grub. now when u reboot ur computer then u see "windows 7" entries on the grub.. select it when u want to boot widows 7.. its working now flawlessly... hope this will help someone here.. sorry for my bad english coz its not my language here. atleast u guys can understand... cheers...
    Last edited by chucky42; 04-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Hello,
    This is not working for me (MSI GT60). I can boot in legacy mode (=bios) but Kali is buggy (looks like a window manager problem). When trying in UEFI with these instructions, first it told me "secure boot is not enabled" so I went to the bios setup (or whatever is its new name) to enable it. When I tried to boot Kali then, it told me that the kernel was not correctly signed. I'm not sure if I should build another iso with github instead of using the official one, especially since I'm not really fond of GNOME. Any advice ?

Seriously, this secure boot thing is really getting on my nerves... Thanks, microsoft.

Leave secure boot disabled in the bios. Enabling it will just cause you problems. I see secure boot is not enabled each time I boot into Kali it is normal.

Try disabling secure boot again and post any messages you see or describe what you are doing and what see/not see in detail.

Wow, you are fast, thank you !

When I leave secure boot disabled, I can see the GRUB boot screen with "kali - boot non persistent mode, Kali - boot persistent, Kali Failsafe, Kali forensics...".
    When I chose the first one (I tried them all, same result), I have this message :
    "Booting 'Kali - boot non persistent mode'
    Secure boot not enabled
    _"
    And nothing else. Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Win32 Disk Imager did not work for me either. If you have access to a Linux box you can use the supported method of dd. If you don't you can use the UNSUPPORTED method of unetbootin. Just be sure to edit the syslinux.cfg like my other post says. I realize you are going to EFI boot the machine but fix syslinux.cfg just in case.
    On my macbook pro (2008, Santa Rosa), using the dd command exactly as shown on http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...ive-USB-on-MAC
    sudo dd if=kalilinux.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=512 conv=noerror,sync

does NOT result in a readable FAT partition. So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).

However, ignoring the "just in case", I went ahead and booted from USB, with the following result:

Code:
    rEFInd - Booting OS

Starting bootx64.efi
    Using load options ' '
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Error: Not Found returned from bootx64.efi

* Hit any key to continue *
    1) the first thing I noticed is that following the directions on this page results in /EFI/Boot/ - not /EFI/BOOT/ ... I am assuming that case sensitivity may be an issue
    2) i'm a little disturbed that the boot messages are using the windows backslash \EFI\BOOT\
    3) the file downloaded from 3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ is actually named BOOTX64.efi - not bootx64.efi as shown in the error message. I'm not sure that case sensitivity matters, since the error is apparently returned from bootx64.efi
    4) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi (rather, there is /EFI/Boot/grub.cfg)
    5) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi

This seems nitpicky, I know, but the devil is in the details. A great start in resolving this would be a definitive 'translation' of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format to /syslinux.cfg format. There are major differences that the grub/grub2 newbie might not be able to parlay...

NOTE: I'm probably going to try the instructions at:
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

which shows
    Code:
    dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k
    (without the conv=noerror,sync) to see if that results in a readable FAT partition, obviating the need to deal with the problems above.