Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

i have the same problem. I noticed that he is unable to read the /cdrom/dist/stable/Release file. I used the amd64 image.
    I also tried to extract the Files from the ISO but it seems to be currupt and i had a sha1sum mismatch. I will now try to download again and hope that this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by AABoyles View Post
    I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?

I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?
    Yeah I've been having the same problem. Haven't seen a way around it. Anyone else have any ideas? It thinks its booting off a CD? not a usb?

download the image again but don't use google-chrome. after is used wget to download it works

Yes, i'm having this problem, but i'm don't know how to fix it. I'm want 2 create MIMB flash. Other isos boot carefully, but Kali runs only in live mode. I'm thinking about emulation, but don't know how to realize it.. =((

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    Hi,
    i made everything but there is a big problem. Macbook don't see usb flash drive as bootable drive... This problem is on the most of linux distributions except ubuntu. Any ideas?

Hi,
    I have a multi boot USB key with Kali-live inside and a grub4dos boot manager (WinGrub) .

Actions I have performed are :
    1) copy the "live" CD-ROM folder into the USB key VFAT partition.
    2) rename this folder as "Kali" in order to have a nice ordered file hierarchy on the key (I still have 4 other live OSes).
    3) add the grub (legacy) menu :

title Live (686-pae)
    kernel /Kali/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali live-media-path=/Kali persistence
    initrd /Kali/initrd.img

live-media-path=/Kali is compulsory since I have changed the live folder name
    persistence is here because I also have on this USB key an ext4 partition named persistence with persistence.conf file on it.

Today unsolved problem :
    * impossible to mount the FAT USB partition as it is already installed but "lost" during the boot (the volume is shown on the desktop)
    * persistence volume is shown on the desktop but should be "invisible"

I am digging intrd shell scripts in order to find a clue ....

Is there a way we can add the persistent arugment to live.cfg by default?

i've had good experiences with 'dd', but it apparently doesn't work for every iso AND don't accidentally enter sda (or otherwise overwrite your harddrive)

arch has a good wiki entry for this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...allation_Media

best wishes

~ilikepenguins

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but the latest version of universal usb installer has just added support for kali linux.

Here's the link http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/