PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Dell Mini with 4GB SSD

vityav
2013-04-01, 18:54
Hello all,
I've been trying to install Kali on a Dell Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD. It fails a normal installation (I assume because of the 8GB requirement), so I'm looking for advice. Two options I've considered: making my own image and paring down to just the tools I use the most often, hoping it's under 4GB, or installing a 16GB SD card I have and moving everything but /boot, /sys, and maybe /lib and /usr over there. Any thoughts on size, speed, feasibility of all/any of this?

Thanks

charonsecurity
2013-04-02, 11:21
I'd say go for the larger size. These days, they are so cheap anyways, so it would defiantly be worth the investment in the long run.

vityav
2013-04-02, 16:56
In which case, which parts of the system would you recommend putting on the SSD?

unknown
2013-04-02, 18:32
16 gb ssd on my mini works great, I use 32 gb micro sd for data storage and downloads

xsspants
2013-04-03, 16:19
Get a Sandisk extreme 8 or 16 gb. Then just install and run off of the SD card entirely. Assuming the dell can boot SD.

Or consider simply upgrading. http://www.amazon.com/Kingspec-PATA-miniPCIE-32GB-Dell/dp/B008KWAV9U

maverik35
2013-04-03, 20:06
Hello all,
I've been trying to install Kali on a Dell Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD. It fails a normal installation (I assume because of the 8GB requirement), so I'm looking for advice. Two options I've considered: making my own image and paring down to just the tools I use the most often, hoping it's under 4GB, or installing a 16GB SD card I have and moving everything but /boot, /sys, and maybe /lib and /usr over there. Any thoughts on size, speed, feasibility of all/any of this?

Thanks

I strongly suggest 2 things:
1. get a larger SSD (16gb)
2. You might end up having installation issues if you have the /usr in a separate partition. Just /, /home and swap. I've seen it here.
/tmp? No need, every boot it gets cleaned...The /var?...Just keep the "dpkg warehouse" clean (aptitude clean and autoclean) from time to time, it will stop from growing.

vityav
2013-04-04, 06:52
The SD card I have is 16GB, so I could run off it entirely, but I would like some of the SSD speed. The computer itself was free but pretty heavily used, and I don't even know if it will still be running in a week to justify getting a new SSD for it. I'll give it a shot with the SD card this weekend to try out various configurations and report back.

vityav
2013-04-08, 15:23
It appears to run just fine with /usr and /home on the SD card and everything else on the SSD. /usr alone takes up over 7GB of space, so I didn't have any choice but to put it on the SD card anyway. I haven't had much chance to play around with it, but it's definitely up and running. Thanks for all the advice.

muffinman
2013-04-10, 06:27
Why would anyone bother with a 4GB USB? It costs $12-$15 for a 16GB flash disk these days....

vityav
2013-04-11, 04:23
Why would anyone bother with a 4GB USB? It costs $12-$15 for a 16GB flash disk these days....

4GB SSD, not USB.