PDA

View Full Version : After USB install for dual boot, Grub Boot Loader not present- always boots to Windows...

Matt Rome
2022-11-04, 08:28
Hi guys.

The dual boot install went smoothly until I was asked questions about if/where i should install the Grub boot loader. The installer described sometimes buggy behavior, and finally suggested I install the Grub boot loader in a standard folder with a name I now forgot (folder had the word "media" in it). Now that the install is complete, when I boot I am never presented with a choice of operating systems-- Windows immediately boots as before.

It seems there is an issue with the grub boot loader.

May you please advise how to fix this so that upon startup I am presented with the choice of Kali or Windows?

Thank you! :)

Fred Sheehan
2022-11-18, 16:20
Grub should have been installed to the primary drive, so that grub boots first and then lets you choose Windows if you want it.

Matt Rome
2022-12-06, 23:21
Grub should have been installed to the primary drive, so that grub boots first and then lets you choose Windows if you want it.

Thank you for your reply.

I executed the entire installation again (added Kali for a dual boot with Windows 10). It seemed to install perfectly, yet I can never boot into Kali because I am never [resented with a screen allowing me to choose which OS to boot into-- Windows just boots automatically.

How do I fix this?

Thank you!

Matt Rome
2022-12-06, 23:44
This fixed my issue..
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-option-not-showing-in-windows-how-to-fix/
Thanks folks!