PDA

View Full Version : Some issues with Kali on VirtualBox.

yzT
2013-03-14, 17:47
I've installed Kali in a VBox machine. Also I've installed VBox Guest additions in Kali's VM.

I'm having some troubles I have never faced before in any of my VMs (and I have/had a lot):

- Resolution. It doesn't change dynamically when re-sizing the window. Also it doesn't support 1920x1080, which means I can't go full screen.
- Mouse scrolling isn't working either. The wheel is simply doing nothing. Middle button click works, though.

Both have been checked out in gnome and xfce.

LuCiFeR
2013-03-14, 17:52
hey man, for your second problem, in the right bottom corner of virtual box windows right click on the mouse icon and disable mouse integration see if that fixes your scrolling problem?

and about the first problem you try it like ubuntu? i mean it installs it self using autrun and asks for password? or you copy it on your hard disk and then chmod +x it and ./ it?
the second way always works it completely installs the modules, also sometimes its vital to install gcc and make to have full functionality of module installation.

bandit
2013-03-14, 18:40
I'm currently running Kali inside of Virtualbox as well. I installed virtualbox-guest-x11 using apt-get and it fixes both problems you're having. Make sure you reboot Kali after installing.

apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
reboot

brav0hax
2013-03-14, 18:50
yzT - On the menu, under View, is the 'Auto-resize Guest Display' box checked?

With regards to the mouse wheel I cannot be sure.

I am using on Gnome without issue, so I will try to help out if I can.

yzT
2013-03-14, 23:28
I'm currently running Kali inside of Virtualbox as well. I installed virtualbox-guest-x11 using apt-get and it fixes both problems you're having. Make sure you reboot Kali after installing.

reboot

this is the fix.

brav0hax
2013-03-17, 05:22
If this works, awesome, but there are a few things to note.

1. When running that command, it is not the only item to get installed (may not matter)
2. This installs Guest additions for 4.1.18. (Usually you want guest additions version to match VBox installed version)

So, like I said, this may be a "who cares" if it works ;) I get that.

Thanks,
Eric

b0nes
2013-03-17, 15:32
this is the fix.

Yeah, for me too...

adeswas
2013-04-12, 21:53

reboot
Gump, yer a god@#mn Genius!!!
Thx

maverik35
2013-04-13, 18:07
I never had that problem, never had to instal the guest-x11..

As far as I know, virtualbox-guest-x11 is for x86 virtualization in the Virtualbox-ose installation and not the virtualbox (it uses guest-additions), and it provides a xorg-driver-video utility for the Open Source Edition (OSE)

Unless you have installed the OSE version, I do not see how the wiki from oracle might be wrong...

Luck..

dcvl
2014-02-11, 15:13

reboot

It worked, but it seems as though I have to lock my mouse into the virtual box and lose the ability to seamlessly transition in and out of it. Anyone know of a fix?

dcvl
2014-02-11, 15:44

reboot

This was the fix...but the problem I'm still having is I can't release the mouse from the virtual box even when pressing the host key like it said (which is the default right ctrl). Just installing this wasn't enough either, I had to go to the top of the window and go to USB devices and click my mouse in order to get the window to capture it to make the mouse wheel work. Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this? So far the solution is to shut the virtual Kali down -_-

rees87
2016-01-31, 00:38
I tried doing this to fix the same issue, but the up-to-date repositories don't have vitualbox-guest-x11. Any help on this?

tron80
2016-02-08, 20:17
hello rees87, it worked for me a minute ago...

did you run apt-get update first?