PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing Kali on laptop that already has Backtrack on it

Arsenal
2013-04-04, 01:56
Having trouble installing Kali. Ive made two different LiveCDs with two different downloads of kali. Cant get past the point where the cd needs to mount and be checked. It says that it doesnt have a valid "release" file or that it cannot be located. Im attempting to install it on an older HP pavilion that already has Backtrack 5 on it running smoothly. Any help?

Vulpi
2013-04-06, 03:55
Not helping with your main problem, but I can say that I doubt the pre-existing BT5 is the issue; I'm triple-booting Windows/BT5/Kali without trouble

charonsecurity
2013-04-06, 05:45
How about trying a USB install? I sometimes have difficulty with DVD Burns if the media is not very good. Or perhaps a different brand of DVD-R, that might be the issue.

LoneWolf64
2013-04-07, 10:40
Hey Vulpi, what Windows system are you running?Did the Grub-installer detect both BT5 and Win when you installed Kali, or did you have to update the Grub-file after installation to reach all three OS-sys options?

Arsenal
2013-04-08, 04:03
How about trying a USB install? I sometimes have difficulty with DVD Burns if the media is not very good. Or perhaps a different brand of DVD-R, that might be the issue.

I have and the same error occurs.

Vulpi
2013-04-08, 08:45
@LoneWolf64

Windows 7 and BT5R2, both detected by the installer, no further editing needed

Arsenal
2013-04-12, 20:28
Any Help? Still having the same problem.

maverik35
2013-04-12, 22:07
It might be quite basic but, have you checked the sha1 on the download?..

It seems to me like a corrupt download. It also can be a bad DVD device or a bad DVD disk. If you tried usb and same error, I assume you used the same download you used on the DVD, so it might point to a corrupt download.

Try re-download.

When trying USB install, use dd command..It easier and faster. refer to wiki.

I have 4 boots: Win7, BT5, Debian Testing and Kali..Also a second HDD in the same PC with Kali, all in the same boot menu...No issues at all.