PDA

View Full Version : Using Kali inside a Debian install

Le Barde
2023-03-18, 12:27
Hi everyone,

I am currently using a Debian install (Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid), and would like to start playing with Kali. If possible, I would like to do it inside a Debian install.
I could use Virtualbox, but maybe there is something more simple as I think it is a too big hammer for what I need (and maybe too much overhead).
What about adding Kali's repos to my apt/sources.list?
I have used Docker once a long time ago, is that the tool I need?

Thanks by advance for your thoughts.

Fred Sheehan
2023-04-04, 23:04
You can add kali repos and then install kali tools on your present debian system..

zaidkhann
2023-06-02, 17:49
Hi everyone,

I am currently using a Debian install (Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid), and would like to start playing with Kali. If possible, I would like to do it inside a Debian install.
I could use Virtualbox, but maybe there is something more simple as I think it is a too big hammer for what I need (and maybe too much overhead).
What about adding Kali's repos to my apt/sources.list?
I have used Docker once a long time ago, is that the tool I need?

Thanks by advance for your thoughts.

If you're using Debian and want to use Kali tools:

Adding Kali repositories: You can add Kali's repositories to your Debian's sources. list file to install Kali tools using apt-get. However, be cautious about potential compatibility issues and conflicts between packages.

Using Docker: Docker provides a lightweight option to set up a Kali container within your Debian installation, isolating Kali tools without impacting your host system.

Virtualization with tools like VirtualBox: VirtualBox allows running Kali as a virtual machine within Debian, providing a complete virtualized environment for exploring Kali tools.

Consider your requirements, technical proficiency, and factors such as compatibility, performance, and isolation level when choosing the best approach for you.