PDA

View Full Version : Kali on Server 2012 Hyper-V

damonbrinkley
2013-03-14, 23:20
Has anyone had any success loading Kali as a VM on Server 2012 Hyper-V? I always get stuck at Copying Data To Disk and it just sits there at 1%. I can boot Live with no issue. It recognizes the disks without an issue but just gets stuck when it starts the copy.

b0nes
2013-03-16, 22:24
Has anyone had any success loading Kali as a VM on Server 2012 Hyper-V? I always get stuck at Copying Data To Disk and it just sits there at 1%. I can boot Live with no issue. It recognizes the disks without an issue but just gets stuck when it starts the copy.

Got the same Problem on Hyper-V 3.0 in Windows 8. On Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V 2.0 it installs without a problem though...

azzaj8
2013-03-17, 16:16
Hi,

I have had the same problems as described above and have found a solution to my installation. I also use Hyper-V 3.0 on Server 2012 and have successfully configured a KALI installation. The trick to my installation was to use "Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM" on the disk configuration section of the installation, everything else after this was default settings.

Hope this helps you both

uBobbyTables
2013-03-17, 18:27
I think it has something to do with the virtual storage drivers (storvsc) and the WRITE_SAME command not being supported.
ref: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg18463.html

I was able to get past the installation, but first boot hangs with a "Add. Sense: No additional sense information" message.

azzaj8
2013-03-18, 20:29
Hi,

I have had the same problems as described above and have found a solution to my installation. I also use Hyper-V 3.0 on Server 2012 and have successfully configured a KALI installation. The trick to my installation was to use "Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM" on the disk configuration section of the installation, everything else after this was default settings.

Hope this helps you both

Well it installed without problems but it failed to boot with "recursive problem found please reboot"

mjb
2013-03-25, 00:47
I couldn't get the install to move past 4% on hyper-v when installing from the .iso. Both graphical mode and text mode installs failed with similar results.

My workaround was to download the VMWare appliance, then run it through Vmdk2Vhd.exe. I created a new VM in hyper-v using the new vhd file and so far it has booted successfully.

indigocy
2013-03-29, 14:49
I couldn't get the install to move past 4% on hyper-v when installing from the .iso. Both graphical mode and text mode installs failed with similar results.

My workaround was to download the VMWare appliance, then run it through Vmdk2Vhd.exe. I created a new VM in hyper-v using the new vhd file and so far it has booted successfully.

Did the same but instead of using vmdk2vhd, I used the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator. Worked like a charm

ckilmer75
2013-07-16, 20:21
Did the same but instead of using vmdk2vhd, I used the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator. Worked like a charm

Has anyone been able to EXPAND the converted VHD to allow for more hard drive space? I've tried but get errors, and while it shows as having been expanded (100gb), when I boot into it, it will freeze when I try to access the expanded portion of the drive.

ckilmer75
2013-07-17, 14:37

Hey, I was able to successfully get 64 bit Kali running in a Hyper-V 2012 VM. I first installed 'Oracle VirtualBox' and created the Kali VM with it (choosing to save the HDD as a .VHD). Once it was installed and had booted once successfully, I shut down and copied the VHD over to my Hyper-V 2012 storage and attached it to a new Hyper-V VM and it booted successfully.

Hope this info helps others.

jackpwns
2013-07-28, 17:15
Has anyone been able to EXPAND the converted VHD to allow for more hard drive space? I've tried but get errors, and while it shows as having been expanded (100gb), when I boot into it, it will freeze when I try to access the expanded portion of the drive.

Expanding VHDs in Hyper-V has been disgusting for years. Typically in Windows (as I'm sure you'll know) you will need to expand the hard drive of the VM after expanding the VHD itself. Perhaps you need to play with the partitions a little bit in Kali after expanding the VHD?

Also, more of a general comment than anything:

Hyper-V has never really played nice with Linux distros. In 2012 Microsoft did a little more work to make them more compatible but at the end of the day, the experience isn't really as good as you can get from VMWare or Xen.

I'm encouraged by your successes, but the failures that I keep seeing here are more of a larger problem with Hyper-V than with any shortcomings of Kali or its users.

x64bitforbytes
2013-12-10, 11:03
Got the same Problem on Hyper-V 3.0 in Windows 8. On Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V 2.0 it installs without a problem though...

I think someone else has mentioned the cause for this (WRITE_SAME command stuck in loop) but I'm not seeing the fix that worked for me posted so thought I'd share; especially as it does not appear that the new kali-linux1.0.5 distro doesn't resolve this bug.

When running through the partitioning portion of the graphical install option after creating your primary partition change the format to ext3 instead of ext4.

Changing the format should allow you to install kali to disk (vhd.)

This seems to be an older thread but since this fix wasn't posted and the newest version of Kali still contains the bug I figured it would be worth while to post, so... cheers!