PDA

View Full Version : Not able to run Java GUI based apps

circle
2013-04-08, 14:25
Hi all!

I have som problems running Java apps using GUI for example Burp Suite Pro and NeXpose Community installer.
Burp Suite exits with the following message:

No protocol specified

And NeXpose exits with the same type of error, clearly related to generation of the GUI:

Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
No protocol specified
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment

I've tried both the out of the box OpenJDK as well as Oracle's JDK 1.7.0 u17 and no luck.

I'm running the out of the box 3.7-trunk-amd64 kernel.

Is there anyone else having the same problem?

Cheers!
/C

blu3gl0w13
2013-04-09, 21:31
I had a similar problem and had to alter the command a bit to get BurpSuite Pro to work.

java -jar /path/to/burpsuitepro.jar

circle
2013-04-10, 08:40
Thanks blu3,

Well I always run things using absolute paths for security and functional reasons...occupational injury i guess ;)

In my case it all had to do with the Nouveau graphics driver. Anything in Java calling anything related to GUI failed due to that it could'nt locate the default display for some reason. Switching to the proprietary Nvidia driver resolved the whole thing. And this was a pure coincidence since I hade huge problems with stability using the Nouveau driver (3-5 crashes a day). Two issues squashed in one blow ;)

Thanks!

Cheers!
/C

blu3gl0w13
2013-04-10, 18:07
Thanks blu3,

Well I always run things using absolute paths for security and functional reasons...occupational injury i guess ;)

In my case it all had to do with the Nouveau graphics driver. Anything in Java calling anything related to GUI failed due to that it could'nt locate the default display for some reason. Switching to the proprietary Nvidia driver resolved the whole thing. And this was a pure coincidence since I hade huge problems with stability using the Nouveau driver (3-5 crashes a day). Two issues squashed in one blow ;)

Thanks!

Cheers!
/C

roger that. Glad you figured it out.