PDA

View Full Version : Very confused over general driver proceedures reguarding Debian and Nvidia

SlipperySloop
2023-06-26, 19:09
Hello I am a noobist user of Debian Kali and I am learning the ropes and trying to make an honest due diligence before posting here.

I have cobbled together this humble PC last week and have been trying to research the best way to install this old graphics card I have 2.

e-GeForce 8800 GTS

Linux version 6.1.0-kali9-amd64 ([email protected]) (gcc-12 (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.27-1kali1 (2023-05-12)

Architecture: x86-64
Hardware Vendor: Dell Inc.
Hardware Model: Inspiron 560s
Firmware Version: A04

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz

I have installed Synapics in search for the nouveau driver but before that I almost installed the proprietary manufacturers driver Linux X64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver Ver: 304.117 until I read
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian post about the risks involved with GPU manufacturer install scripts and
having to reinstall after every Kernel upgrade and so forth.

https://www.kali.org/docs/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux/

This installation disables nouveau in favor of nvidia to take advantage of the cuda cores which is what id like to do but not at the risk of messing everything up. If reinstalling the GPU drivers isn't so much of a problem
I might consider but I haven't done that yet so I don't know if it's worth it. I'm not sure of nouveaus capabilities in this scenario.

So yes I am confused in choosing the best course of action and to top it off I'm not getting any display at all
when physically connecting the graphics card to the motherboard ''black screened'' while my monitor is connected HDMI to the motherboard, the dvi connectors unused on the card. Not sure if I have to have this card plugged in while installing the drivers and I do not have a working dvi capable monitor to top it off.

Opinions welcomed

Fred Sheehan
2023-08-27, 22:53
I almost installed the proprietary manufacturers driver Linux X64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver Ver: 304.117

why would you even think about installing AMD drivers for an Nvidia card, even without reading something somewhere..? :)

motherboard output will presently be vga probably, you need to install the firmware and drivers for your card..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia