PDA

View Full Version : Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless card attached, but no wlan0 interface detected.

loby
2023-08-31, 04:27
I am using an Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless adapter with Kali Linux in Virtualbox. My current kernel version is 6.4.0-kali3-amd64. In Virtualbox settings, I selected USB 3.0 and attached the Realtek 802.11n NIC filter.

First I ran sudo apt update and wlan0 was present when I ran iwconfig. But after I ran sudo apt upgrade and restarted, wlan0 is no longer present as an interface, even though it's attached in the Virtualbox session.

I also have guest additions installed. Can anyone explain why the wireless adapter is not available after upgrading? I can revert to a previous snapshot and it works again, but as soon as I upgrade and restart, it's not available anymore. I also tried restarting my host machine, FYI.

Solved: Had to reinstall the driver and reboot, after upgrading: sudo apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

Fred Sheehan
2023-09-01, 19:34
dont just restart, shut down. remove adapter. restart, then plug in adapter and 'attach' it to Kali again.

loby
2023-09-01, 21:20
Solved, just had to run the below command to install the driver and reboot the VM.

sudo apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms