PDA

View Full Version : Using Kali as main operating system?

RawBrokerage
2013-04-10, 05:43
Is it a good choice to use Kali linux as the main computer OS? Does it have enough security to be used daily, for everyday/personal use. Obviously it's good enough for penetration testing, but i'm asking soley for everyday average use PLUS the option to do penetration testing. If not should i use a program such as PeerBlock/PeerGuardian?

S373N
2013-04-13, 19:03
Hi,

Advise to you! if you are planning on using Kali as a sole operating system, then i would advise you run your everyday use as a user that is not Root: on the other hand if you you have an External HDD i'd be happy to explain to you how you can get Kali firmly installed onto your External as a boot up operating system. you can plug it in any computer that has external boot privileges. This way you can have a main operating system on your external plus the main one on your PC without splitting your pc's internal memory for a dual boot. In Kali running a main OS as Root can be dangerous and cause harm to your system as well as open up many various exploits to you. I hope this helped

DrDinosaur
2013-04-13, 19:46
In its default form, it's designed just for penetration testing in mind. However, you may be able to make some modifications to better suit your needs.

Burn:Cycle
2013-04-18, 23:12
I too am looking for info on this matter. I am an IT student, and the idea of using Kali as my primary OS makes a lot of sense. The risks mentioned above seem like common sense issues to me. Are there any other issues I should look out for. Are there any functions that would be restricted, ie Office Suites, browsers, and/or anything that one would use as an IT student?

sickn3ss
2013-04-19, 03:36
There is another thread regarding the same subject: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?1396-Using-Kali-as-main-operating-system

HDD2
2013-04-20, 10:21
yes sorry, RawBrokerage is my other username i made after i forgot the password to this one, then remembered it lol :( i apologize.

S373N
2013-05-20, 21:30
I too am looking for info on this matter. I am an IT student, and the idea of using Kali as my primary OS makes a lot of sense. The risks mentioned above seem like common sense issues to me. Are there any other issues I should look out for. Are there any functions that would be restricted, ie Office Suites, browsers, and/or anything that one would use as an IT student?

Burn:Cycle, sorry for the late response. 1st off open office would suffice as a replacement for office suites. You write your material and then save it in the form of an word, ETC. office document. browsers are of no issue, unless your school runs certain programs online for the use of teaching that require a certain browser. There "may" be an issue there. And you can say goodbye to your netflix -LOL- and any other "MustHave" microsoft programs. Here is an excelent tutorial on how to install ubuntu to an external hard drive

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/02/20/install-ubuntu-11-10-on-external-hard-drive-with-an-ntfs-partition-at-the-end/

Follow the partition steps in that tutorial as if it were for KALI, && unplug your internal hard drive if posible. Do not use ext2 file system as for some odd given reason it will not work.

timin770
2013-05-25, 01:40

I run the Microsoft Office Suite just fine by using WINE within Kali. Piece of cake..............

Aikka
2016-04-15, 23:16
I have been using kali linux as main OS for 6 months now. I am doing this because i find kali linux the most stable linux distribution i've dealt with. I used to have Ubuntu which gave me cancer due to often crashing. however, i do not recommend that you practice any illegal hacking or pentesting activities while running it as main OS, as this might exploit your physical location unless you can -somehow- make your self anonymous which is a little bit hard.

.lonewolf
2016-04-16, 06:02
Also using Kali as my main os, even installed Steam on it and playing games etc.
Even though I have a dual boot with Windows 7 but I still prefer Kali.

*nux ftw xD

abelwho
2016-04-18, 10:53
Hi,
I use macbook pro duel boot with kali, at work i use osx and home kali i too like kali linux.I also use google chrome on kali for internet.

LennyNew
2016-04-19, 12:15
I used Kali linux as the main computer OS, it was not difficult to me to understand how does it work, so I can advice it to you too!):o