PDA

View Full Version : Problem with dual boot with win7

chokko
2013-06-04, 06:16
Hello,
I managed to get this dual booted on another win7 box the other day, think that machine has Grub in MBR.

Tried on my laptop yesterday and today a few times. It already has windows7 on it.
After the window7 partition, I added an EXt4 /boot partition (300MB) and set it to bootable, 4GB Swap, and 16GB Ext4 for /

Kali installed ok.
I told it NOT to install Grub to MBR, and told it to install Grub in /dev/sda4 (the /boot partition)

I used EasyBCD in windows to create a Linux entry pointing to that same small /boot partition.

Reboot machine, select the Linux entry and get something along the lines of the following not found:
\NST\nst_linux.mbr

What might be wrong with my approach ?

ta

0pt1k
2013-06-04, 23:52
chokko, see if this helps: wipe your kali partition, reinstall with root/home then swap. If you still can't boot try this: http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

0pt1k

root-boy
2013-06-05, 08:58
Why don't you follow this guide (http://docs.kali.org/installation/dual-boot-kali-with-windows)

chokko
2013-06-05, 10:57
hmmm, I replied to my own post yesterday saying I believe the issue to be UEFI on the laptop. Maybe that post is being vetted still (being new forum user). So thanks for that link 0pt1k, I wasn't able to find a 'boot-repair' for debian/kali yesterday.

Anyway, just tried boot-repair. It doesn't seem too happy "You have installed on sda5 a Linux version which is not EFI-compatible. It is probably incompatible with your computer. Please install an EFI-compatible system......"

maverik35
2013-06-08, 23:47
You cannot install grub in a partition, period. That is a beginners HUGE mistake.

Please read more about GRUB and installations in linux. GRUB is to be installed in MBR, that is a rule...

One of the info in MBR is the disk partitions, boot options as set in BIOS and then it looks for the boot files (in your case the /boot) to keep the booting process. But it starts at the MBR with the bootstrap, also known as GRUB.

ankt_pegasus
2014-07-18, 22:04
You cannot install grub in a partition, period. That is a beginners HUGE mistake.

Please read more about GRUB and installations in linux. GRUB is to be installed in MBR, that is a rule...

One of the info in MBR is the disk partitions, boot options as set in BIOS and then it looks for the boot files (in your case the /boot) to keep the booting process. But it starts at the MBR with the bootstrap, also known as GRUB.

hey, i did what you are pointing at, but now the problem is that neither of my 2 hard disks are able to boot. one has windows 8, and the other Ubuntu 14.04. the third one was supposed to be kali, but during the installation out of sheer excitement and haste i allowed the grub to be installed in the mbr(/dev/sda).. and now my pc says that the was no os found, press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

i tried booting via the hard disk which has win 8 only by disconnecting the other hard disk which did not yield any response either. the other hard disk too, when run solely gave no response other than a blinking white cursor on a black screen. i need help with this. :(