PDA

View Full Version : Tor WITHOUT root?

TheMonark
2013-06-05, 17:56
Hello to all, this is my first post, so sorry on advance if somehow it's not in a correct format.
I've been trying to install Tor-Browser on Kali 1.0, but unfortunately with no success. Most tutorials and how-to's on the subject teach only how to use it as root user, which is a serious security fail. I successfully installed Tor and it's dependencies normally through Synaptic, and Vidalia appear to be working nromally, I'm able to connect to the Tor network and see it on "See the Network", but no browser opens.
So I tried downloading the tor-browser-bundle, after doing the tar xzvf on the file, i tried openning start-tor-browser, so then vidalia opens normally, but i'm unable to connect to the tor network, and get this error:
[Warning] Unable to open configuration file "/home/USR/tor-browser_en-US/App/../Data/Tor/torrc".
When I try to open it as a superuser, it working normally...:confused:
Could anyone help me out with this?

AfterBurn
2013-06-07, 00:27
Running the ToR client as root is not a security fail. If you were also running a ToR server as root, that would have been an epic security fail.

Why don't you just use apt-get install for tor, vidalia, privoxy, etc?

TheMonark
2013-06-07, 21:03
Running the ToR client as root is not a security fail. If you were also running a ToR server as root, that would have been an epic security fail.

Why don't you just use apt-get install for tor, vidalia, privoxy, etc?

As I said mate, I did install it and all it's depedencies, I am even able to start Vidalia and connect to the Tor network, but the tor-browser just dosen't open...
And I can't find a single how-to that dosen't involve using the program as root.
How can I proprelly install the Tor browser, or perhaps another browser capable of using the network? beacuse iceweasel seems to be unable to use it.