PDA

View Full Version : no install options in boot menu, how to install?

Divergent
2013-06-09, 15:30
hi,

am absolutely desperate to install kali now.
have unsucessfuly been trying to get it to work,and still havent found an answer after trawling through google,the closest have seemed to find is the issues that other member; supereffective is having- http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?16910-Problems-installing but even he/she is getting further ahead as they are seeing an install option.

the exact problem is-there is no install options in kalis boot menu; no gui or text install option,it offers only live/forensic/failsafe.
have downloaded the isos from many different torrent locations as well as from direct official source,and also each kali version plus sixty four bit and non sixty four bit,the isos all work fine;theres nothing wrong with them which am made all the more tormented by because of how far its come on from BT. :P

am using a acer ferrari 200 small laptop which is a good spec,booting kali from a eight gb kingston USB stick.
on the hard drive have got only ubuntu installed but had purposely encrypted the whole hard drive through true crypt,and as a result it cant be mounted anc accessed via other OSs-coud this cause the install options to be missing from the boot menu?

is it worth un encrypting the hard drive or does the formating preparation distros do overide that encryption anyway? it was the first time using it.

as a related issue,whilst on the kali desktop, if the 'install kali linux' option in system tools is clicked,it will start loading in the bottom corner.
at the same time the internet will cut off, then the connection starts reloading again,and finaly-the 'install kali linux' option disappears.

--please help,am desperate,cheers!

koen
2013-06-11, 16:25
Just use the Text Install, trust me, it's just as easy as the Graphical Install.

T3mplar
2013-06-17, 13:06
am using a acer ferrari 200 small laptop which is a good spec,booting kali from a eight gb kingston USB stick.
on the hard drive have got only ubuntu installed but had purposely encrypted the whole hard drive through true crypt,and as a result it cant be mounted anc accessed via other OSs-coud this cause the install options to be missing from the boot menu?

If I understood OK, you have only one HD ans it's fully encrypted. The yes, that's the reason because the install options are missing from the menu; the installer can't mount/access it.

N3XU5
2013-06-27, 17:57
Create the partitions manually. This is the layout I use:

/boot 7.5 gb (unencrypted or it won't boot)

luks lvm2

kali-root 45gb
kali-swap 4.5 gb

kali-home 45gb
kali-usr 45gb

N3XU5
2013-06-27, 17:58
How much ram is in your computer and how much ram are you giving the virtual machine.

daedalus1776
2013-06-27, 22:54
But, it can be decrypted easily. Encryption is like your locks on a house, they only keep honest people out.

That really depends on the encryption method used and the complexity of the password. I'd say a logon password is more like the locks on your house, whereas encryption is like a vault. Sure some people can get into, but it's gonna take a LOT of work.

But yeah, what N3XU5 said.

BTK
2013-07-07, 03:17
if you used yumi to put the iso on usb..... that removes the install option from the boot menu
universal usb installer works for me or you could try unetbootin or power iso

maverik35
2013-07-11, 17:18
I do not recommned to have /usr in a different partition at all. I've seen and read many issues with that practice. Also I do not recommend the VM's. And I would not encrypt every aspect in the HDD, just my data.

It is up to you my friend.