PDA

View Full Version : NETinVM - 734PB?

rastamouse
2013-06-16, 19:43
Hi all,

I have downloaded the latest version of NETinVM for VirtualBox (new release was Jan 2013, previous version was Dec 2010). When I inspect the VDI file within the downloaded ZIP, it reports to be 734PB (yes, Petabytes) and therefore will not extract. I have compared the MD5 sum of my downloaded file to that published on the NETinVM website, and it is identical.

I have emailed the NETinVM developers, but have not yet received a reply. Has anybody come across this? :confused:

charonsecurity
2013-06-17, 00:51
Has to be a bad download. It should only be 2.8GB's according to the website. I remember once long long ago I had downloaded an image file of something and its reported size too was outlandish. I think it may have been a zipbomb, (not that its what's you have) but basically its an old trick that some do to compressed files that have compressed files within and are filled with 0's So when someone tries to uncompress it boom! You prolly just had a bad download.

rastamouse
2013-06-17, 14:37
A bad download wouldn't explain why the MD5 sums match. But I have just received a reply from one of the developers - copied below for future reference.

"Hi,

Thanks for your interest in NETinVM. Yes, we are aware of that problem (I would say a bug) in Windows's default ZIP manager. I use the open source 7zip program, which decompress the VirtualBox VDI file without problems.

Sincerely,
Carlos PĂ©rez"