PDA

View Full Version : Kali freeze at boot after guest addition install

misterch0c
2013-06-30, 21:51
This is really buging me. I tried to install it 4 times today and everytime it's the same. After I install the guest addition in kali I reboot and then it's freezed. I can't login etc I'm just stuck at the login screen...
Any idea what could cause that?

brav0hax
2013-07-01, 22:35
When you say guest additions are you referring to VBox? or VMWare?

If you can provide more information including software and version it may be easier to help.

Best Regards,
Eric

wpk
2013-07-13, 22:49
When you say guest additions are you referring to VBox? or VMWare?

If you can provide more information including software and version it may be easier to help.

Best Regards,
Eric

I'm having a similar/same problem. Installed VirtualBox 4.2.16 on Mac OsX Mountain Lion, downloaded x86_64 version of Kali, followed the install instructions, everything went ok, kali boots etc. After adding the guest additions ( http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?74-Installing-Kali-Linux-as-a-Virtual-Machine-in-Virtual-Box ) as per instructions and rebooting, I am unable to log in because I am unable to select the text box with the mouse. I'm guessing this has something to do with mouse integration rather than a system freeze, but don't know. The mouse cursor disappears when entering the kali virtualbox window and reappears when leaving the window. There is a static mouse cursor displayed in the lower right part of the kali VB window.

Any workaround other than uninstalling and avoiding use of the guest additions ?

DizX
2013-07-14, 06:19
I had this happen on vmware 9, All i had to do was reboot and reinstall tools through vmware

wpk
2013-07-14, 16:30
I had this happen on vmware 9, All i had to do was reboot and reinstall tools through vmware

This didn't work for me. One problem is that the guest addition cdrom remains mounted after rebooting.

Anyway, I removed the old vbox kali vm and created a new one. After running VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, I manually unmounted /media/cdrom0 before rebooting and was able to log in to the new guest with functioning mouse/kbd integration.