PDA

View Full Version : grub install fails

schutzhund3
2013-07-01, 19:40
I am creating a dual boot with Windows 8 and Kali on a Surface Pro. I am able to boot from USB and select graphical install. When the package installer (forgot the exact term) is running, I get a failure that grub failed to install. I am able to finish installing (without grub) - but of course cannot boot into Kali.
I've downloaded grub2 and tried copying it to the install usb, as well as using a non-persistence boot and copying it to the kali partition, however am unable to get install to run (??).

charonsecurity
2013-07-03, 01:22
I believe the Surface Pro uses the EFI Boot. Try this thread: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?271-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux

schutzhund3
2013-07-03, 15:15
I believe the Surface Pro uses the EFI Boot. Try this thread: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?271-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux

Thanks. That link indicates (step 7) that the installer will download the EFI grub and install. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my wireless adapter to be recognized during the install, and I don't have a usb > Ethernet adapter yet. Any idea if grub will install from the kali usb drive, or how to get the wireless adapter to be recognized during the install?

schwermie
2013-07-03, 21:09
I got my wireless adaptor detected during install, so i think it is a driver/hardware issue. If you mount your disk, you should be able to add the files needed for EFI boot.

schutzhund3
2013-07-13, 13:32
I got my wireless adaptor detected during install, so i think it is a driver/hardware issue. If you mount your disk, you should be able to add the files needed for EFI boot.

thanks - you are using a surface pro?

schwermie
2013-07-14, 04:00
No, i don't have a surface pro, but i think your wireless chipset is not supported with the default Kali Live.

schutzhund3
2013-07-15, 11:53
thanks. I'm trying now to just get grub to install, then worry about the wireless. I can get Kali to install (with the error that grub fails), but how do I get grub installed so I get the dual boot menu? I've downloaded grub2 and copied it to the kali partition using kali live, however the ./configure fails.
I've also tried easybcd which also fails to either 'find' kali, or boot into kali if I manually configure the boot partition.

repzeroworld
2014-02-07, 00:36
I am creating a dual boot with Windows 8 and Kali on a Surface Pro. I am able to boot from USB and select graphical install. When the package installer (forgot the exact term) is running, I get a failure that grub failed to install. I am able to finish installing (without grub) - but of course cannot boot into Kali.
I've downloaded grub2 and tried copying it to the install usb, as well as using a non-persistence boot and copying it to the kali partition, however am unable to get install to run (??).

I encounter the same problem when installing..i have windows 7 and XP in the Boot Loader. what i did was follow the instruction on how to make a live Kali USB and then i use the USB to install Kali Linux when the PC boots. I did not encounter any grub installation failed errors!

stayfi
2014-02-19, 08:38
same pb here, have a win7 on my pc netbook

netdestroyer
2014-02-21, 09:34
you use an internet connection during the installation ??? repeat the installation and connect to the internet because the grub is downloaded through apt

yusbar
2014-02-21, 16:35
The same problem...

kanturkeoin
2014-08-09, 15:29
The same problem...

http://moviediablo.com/kaylila/upload/31/wso.jpg

I have had this problem before and I solved it on my computer anyway.
Instead of installing grub as the master boot say no to that option.
Then you must specify where to install it and for me it was /dev/sda1
It installed without the fatal error warning and booted no problem.
I hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

tek911
2015-08-13, 02:52
I have a similar problem, I've done the step where I specify which partition to install grub to as well, and no go. I've confirm the hash of the iso, done the install at this point 4 times (in progress of 5th) on 2 laptops and a separate desktop (now going with an install in vmplayer). I'm doing a encrypted lvm install to a usb device. Each time, it appears that grub is not properly installing. Next step is to attempt a grub-install manually after the fact, but I do believe something may be dorked with the grub install step in the installer. Going to keep trying, because I've been running Kali for years on encrypted usb. Finally about to make the jump to EFI as well.

hoanhdo
2015-08-14, 17:07
I have similar problem.
You finish install kali
I fixed by following step.
1. Download boot repair disk http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
2. Make boot usb using usb universal http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
3. Boot on usb run repair disk and run fix recommended ( you must connect to internet while boot usb)
if you see message not connect to repository in file source.list , you use terminal in menu and add repository
to source.list then reinstall fix recommended
You will see message to run some command , if fail rerun command.
If install successfully , press forward to finish.
Reboot machine

Hope this help
Hoan

drewsky
2015-08-16, 10:13
Agreed, mirror option to use toward the end of install is what got me GRUB also.

Good Luck.

tek911
2015-11-05, 05:42
Agreed, mirror option to use toward the end of install is what got me GRUB also.

Good Luck.

As an update. I got everything to work. Basically, i unplugged an internal sata drive i had in the machine and did the install with just the dvd drive and the usb. Grub installed correctly on the right usb drive. What i had experienced before was grub not installing to the usb drive, but it installed to my sata drive even though i selected the usb when selecting drives for install. Not sure if its a bug or just a missed menu option somewhere on my part but just thought i'd let you guys know what worked for me in the end.

What im working on now is UEFI for the full install usb approach. I know i need the /EFI folder on the boot partition but im trying to cobble together what files i need there.