PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Dual boot not working!

Robbster
2013-07-08, 18:39
After so much struggle and online searching I've come here. I'm trying to install Kali Linux on a partition on my laptop which is currently running Windows 8. kali runs fine with a live boot via USB but every time I install it it never boots up, During the installation I didn't know what to do when it asked if I made it my master boot or something like that. But I didn't want to risk my W8.

if you need any information which you probably will, Just ask!

Thanks in advance

daedalus1776
2013-07-08, 23:10
During the installation I didn't know what to do when it asked if I made it my master boot or something like that.

So what did you do?

Robbster
2013-07-09, 07:04
So what did you do?

I didn't make it the master boot, because I didn't want it to take over W8. so I said no to that and when it asked where to put the GRUB boot loader I put /dev/sda2, but it just won't boot I tried adding it to the partition booting with EasyBCD it won't work when it boots :?

daedalus1776
2013-07-09, 23:26
Hang on, I'm confused. You said you didn't install GRUB to the master boot record, but you did install GRUB to sda2..? Installing it to the MBR won't destroy your Windows 8 partition. I can't guarantee it will give Win8 as a boot option (it should) but if it doesn't you can configure it to. It sounds like you're still running Windows Boot Manager. My suggestion; Install GRUB.

maverik35
2013-07-11, 16:59
Again, before doing something in linux, you need to read. I still do not know haow can you install the GRUB in a partition. It must be done in MBR (Master Boor Record)..Now you see the results.

Now you need to recover grub...Boot up with any linux distro (use Ubuntu 10.4 and above, they use grub 2) and recover the grub. How?...Read my friend...Go to ubuntu page and see in the wiki "Grub2, how to recover GRUB2"

If you use 64bit distro (Kali), you need to use Ubuntu 64bit. Do not use a 32bit in a 64bit when recovering GRUB2, you will end up chasing a shadow, never will recover grub in a correct way.

Do not get me wrong, but read before using something or ask the community if aby doubt, we all gladly help you.

Luck.