PDA

View Full Version : install kali and keep disk partitioned

Youcef
2013-07-08, 21:11
Hello

I was wondering I have Kali Linux (kali-linux-1.0.3-i386.iso) and i've burned it on a DVD and I want to install with windows 7 , my hard disk is partitioned to 3 partitions C:\ ,D:\ and E:\ and the windows is installed on C:\ I've read the kali documentation "Dual Boot Kali with Windows" and I was wondering after doing all installing steps when I get to the partition step what shall I choose so I keep my hard disk partiotoned to 3 partitions ? you know I have some very important things in E:\

thank you for your answers

daedalus1776
2013-07-08, 23:06
If you've got 3 partitions, all NTFS, you'll need to resize one of them, making it smaller so you have room for a fourth partition, where Kali will be installed.
You can shrink a partition in Windows 7 on the fly by right clicking on Computer, going to Manage then to Disk Management and selecting "Shrink Volume"
Once you begin to install Kali, you can select to install to the fourth partition.
Keep in mind, this is all off the top of my head, so I strongly urge you to do some research first.
Good luck

maverik35
2013-07-11, 17:06
Well, if you have 3 partitons, you have only one more primary partition left, so the next one you create should be an extended one, why?, because you need 2 more partitions: Kali and swap.

As daedalus1776 is pointing, need to read a bit about partitioning.

Luck.

daedalus1776
2013-07-11, 22:37
Well, if you have 3 partitons, you have only one more primary partition left, so the next one you create should be an extended one, why?, because you need 2 more partitions: Kali and swap.

Ah good point. For a moment there I forgot about the 4 primary partition limitation of MBR. That's why I use GPT. But yeah Youcef, do some googling.

Youcef
2013-08-07, 07:27
ok thank you very much for your answers but now my hard disk is partitoned to 2 parts anyway i'll learn more about partition