PDA

View Full Version : gpu_mem and gpu_mem_256 Raspberry Pi issues

crypiehef
2013-07-23, 14:27
I have been trying to change the memory split between the gpu and cpu on my Rev. B 256 board running Kali. I added the line gpu_mem=16, also tried gpu_mem=32 and also gpu_mem_256=16 (and 32) in /boot/config.txt. Rebooted the Pi after making all the changes. (Lot of reboots, LOL). Free -m keeps reporting 184 total no matter what I put in config.txt. I have scoured the internets and can't find anything regarding the proper way to set the memory split in Kali. I assume it's the same way based on wheezy pi. Anyone else run into this and know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

EDIT-Duh, Figured it out. I must have been drunk or something. It works fine.

superjcvd
2013-08-12, 14:16
Hello how did you solve this ? i have the same problem :p

crypiehef
2013-08-12, 18:19
Hello how did you solve this ? i have the same problem :p

Make sure you have everything in the /boot menu required for the config switches. I got mine from the raspberry pi github page and did a wget download of the raspbi wheezy /boot contents. Then chmod the files. I did 555. Worked.

Irene
2015-03-17, 14:56
Can you please explain a little bit better what you did there. I dont have the config.txt file under the boot directory.
I looked in the boot directory after mounting the /dev/mmcblk0p1 as well.
If you could provide some help I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

i8igmac
2015-03-20, 00:21
edit: installed kali 1.1.0 lastnight...

ls /dev/mmc*

/dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk0p1 /dev/mmcblk0p2
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
ls /boot

bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb bootcode.bin fixup_cd.dat kernel7.img overlays start_x.elf
bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb cmdline.txt config.txt fixup.dat kernel.img start_cd.elf
bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb COPYING.linux fixup_x.dat LICENCE.broadcom start.elf
all your over clocking options for config.txt are in the links i provide...
i just wanted to share... i have not tested but here it is... insert your kali installed sdcard into your labtop, you will see 2 partitions... /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2, you will notice some files exist in sdc1... bootcode.bin and start.elf, write your config.txt here... the links i provide will show all options for config.txt

kali /boot folder is empty
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md usefull document for boot options
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig more info

As it's an embedded platform, the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a BIOS like you'd find on a conventional PC. The various system configuration parameters, which would traditionally be edited and stored using a BIOS, are stored in an optional text file named config.txt. This is read by the GPU before the ARM CPU (and Linux) is initialised; therefore it must be located on the first (boot) partition of your SD card, alongside bootcode.bin and start.elf. This file is normally accessible as /boot/config.txt from Linux and must be edited as root; but from Windows or OS X it is seen as a file in the only accessible part of the card. If you need to apply some of the config settings below, but you don't have a config.txt on your boot partition yet, then simply create it as a new text file.