PDA

View Full Version : Install to usb problem with Win32 disk imager

MagicKat
2013-07-26, 01:21
I've install a few other boot usb in the past but first time coming across this issue. Following the steps in the docs on how to install to usb, I do get a usb that boots to Kali. But the problem is Win32diskimager is putting a 2.2gb partition on my usb and it is not accessible in windows to transfer other data to. Is there anyway for it just to install without creating it's own partition? So I can still use the rest of the usb for other storage.

jackpwns
2013-07-28, 17:06
I would not under any circumstances recommend using a USB drive with a Live Install of an OS for storage. I would strongly suggest using another USB key... I tend to keep my OS keys and my personal keys separate (I keep a drive on my key ring that is specifically for personal storage).

Using a live key for storage might corrupt the filesystem of the OS. Is there a solid reason you need to use this particular key, and can't use another one?

Tirn
2013-07-29, 18:39
I've install a few other boot usb in the past but first time coming across this issue. Following the steps in the docs on how to install to usb, I do get a usb that boots to Kali. But the problem is Win32diskimager is putting a 2.2gb partition on my usb and it is not accessible in windows to transfer other data to. Is there anyway for it just to install without creating it's own partition? So I can still use the rest of the usb for other storage.

Sure, it is possible.
Just use gparted to format and create the partitions you need. - Ex. sdb1=ext4 "/"; sdb2=swap; sdb3=fat32, ntfs, "/home", etc.
Then, use a second live USB/CD to make an install on the USB drive you pretend...just like you would do with a hdd install.
But, there are some steps/details you shouldn't miss. Therefore, I suggest you checking the follow entry:

http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?18059-Question-in-regards-to-installation-process-on-a-USB

That's the way I do it since BT...and it still works like a charm.

Best regards,