PDA

View Full Version : /dev/sda contains GPT signatures

pamamolf
2013-08-10, 21:49
Hello

I got an Asus K56CB with free Dos on the disk.

I format the disk and the recovery partition and all partitions from Windows 7 SP1 setup and instal Windows without problems.

Then i try to install as dual boot the Kali v1.04 and when i load gparted to split at half my 1TB disk i get an unalocated partition and got this warning:

/dev/sda contains GPT signatures indicating that it has a GT table. However it does not have a valid fake msdos partitiontable as it should.
Perhaps it was corupted possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables or perhaps you deleted the GPT table and are now
using an msdos partition table.Is this a GPT partition table?

My nfts windows partition was not there to split it :(

I need a way to get rid forever that GPT stuff and get only the normal MBR that i ha use many times without any problems..... :)

Any ideas?

charonsecurity
2013-08-11, 08:26
For this issue, you may want to try a utility, called gdisk, I suggest trying with the "v" verify command, and then with the "r" recover command. Please take a look at the man page before hand to get a gist of what else it can do http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/gdisk.html

Also as an alternative, I havent't tried, but heard that this route may actually be more user friendly is a program called FixParts (and maybe the better option for what you want to do. Here is the website for it: http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

I hope it helps, please report back your success! ^^

pamamolf
2013-08-11, 14:29
Ok i fix it and i dual boot it :)

But when i try to select windows from the Grub loader menu i am getting an error:

Error no argument specified...
Press any key to continue

If i press any key Windows loading without any problem.If i do not press any key after 5-10 seconds it is auto loading again without any problems...

How can i fix this?

My Asus k56CB laptop had Free Dos and i am wonderind if the problem was on the disk or also on any UEFI/EFI setting related to windows secure boot ?

After installing Kali always Windows was not loading but i was lucky and after many restarts ask for repair and i press yes and then Windows Dual booting fine ....

damianwalters
2013-09-14, 22:55
careful here, this is a fix [worked for me], but there is probably a more "appropriate" fix ...

boot into [kali] linux
cd /boot/grub
cp grub.cfg grub.cfg.orig [really, do this in case]
vim grub.cfg
remove the "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid..." line below the "set root=(hd0, msdos1)" line in the desired windows menuentry section
NOTE: the above lines may be different for you
save with w!
reboot and try it now

that should do it.

damian

maverik35
2013-09-19, 16:00
careful here, this is a fix [worked for me], but there is probably a more "appropriate" fix ...

boot into [kali] linux
cd /boot/grub
cp grub.cfg grub.cfg.orig [really, do this in case]
vim grub.cfg
remove the "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid..." line below the "set root=(hd0, msdos1)" line in the desired windows menuentry section
NOTE: the above lines may be different for you
save with w!
reboot and try it now

that should do it.

damian

Do not ever touch the grub.cfg file as it is not recommended in the GRUB home page. Please refer to the templates to make any changes and then use update-grub commando to update the grub.cfg.

If any doubt, please read the GRUB home page, as they state the "do not touch the grub.cfg"

Luck.