PDA

View Full Version : Kali ARM Raspberry - Metasploit - Aircrack

superjcvd
2013-08-12, 12:57
Hello,

I'm new to the Kali world.
Let me share my first impression and questions.

I wanted to play with my Raspberry pi 256 (rev2) and this cool Linux distribution.
I downloaded the last version of the ARM Raspberry image and copied it on my SD card.
And started using it. The boot process was OK and the system was running fine.

* First strange behavior : I don't have any file in the following folder : /lib/modules/
So it was not possible to load any external USB devices as Wifi dungles.
I followed the post number #9 here to solve the problem http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?18146-wireless-not-showing-when-iwconfig-on-latest-1-0-4-on-rpi

* Second strange behavior : I tried to use 2 different USB Wireless adapatators in monitor mode
Every time I activate monitor mode with aircrack the Raspberry device totally freeze after 30s
I suspect a power problem that could be solve by adding a secondary USB power to the Wireless USB devices
http://www.amazon.fr (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000FKP7XA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=090PCTA68Z0729DGAEFP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312232987&pf_rd_i=405320)
If any one has an idea I will take it :o

* Third problem : if I try to run metasploit (msfconsole or msfd) It allways fail after a long laoding time with many 'Cannot allocate memory' errors
I tried to increase my available RAM memory with /boot/config.txt file (less memory for video and more for system) but whatever I put in the file the amount of available memory is allways 184M (default value)
I tried to upgrade the firmware but no more success.
Do you know what is the cause of the problem ? should I buy a new Raspberry with 512 Mo ?

If any one could help me or explain me what I'm doing wrong this would be great !

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 697.95
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 0002
serial : 00000000b1c79844

Linux kali 3.6.11+ #520 PREEMPT Wed Aug 7 16:07:34 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

tacgnol
2013-08-14, 01:57
512 mb ram would help yeah. If you don't mind buying another pi, it should solve your problem.

northpole
2013-09-04, 12:46
@superjcvd, any luck? I am facing same issues.

Before trying Kali on RPi, I used Raspbian with Aircrack/Kismet compiled on it. I took it wardriving with 2600mah battery pack, Alfa AWUS 036NEH and Quartz USB GPS device. It worked flawlessly every time. There was no power issues, Kismet logged networks till the battery drained out.

But the exact same hardware with Kali 1.0 armel has different output. After running Aircrack for few seconds, RPi totally freezes.

Also on Raspbian, there is an option in raspi-config to change memory allocation for graphics, but not in Kali armel version. Wish we had this option.

musashi
2014-07-12, 16:06
I hate to necro a year-old thread as my first post, but I've been having the same problem and my google-fu is not strong enough to find a solution. I've been working on getting Kali up and running on my model B (rev 2) pi, and everything has gone swimmingly (relatively, for someone new to linux), except for this msfconsole issue. I'd really love to get it working correctly. If anyone has a fix besides trying to install raspi-config (I'd really prefer not to do that), it would be a huge help. I'm getting the same error (cannot allocate memory) over and over again. I have to exit the xterm session to get it to stop.

staticn0de
2014-07-15, 05:32
I have not tried Kali on my pi yet (I think I will now, though) but last I checked metasploit needs a lot of Ram.

A quick google shows it wants minimum 2GB and recommended 4GB. It's not a big surprise it's having allocation issues on a pi.

mattle
2014-07-16, 14:04
I hate to necro a year-old thread as my first post, but I've been having the same problem and my google-fu is not strong enough to find a solution. I've been working on getting Kali up and running on my model B (rev 2) pi, and everything has gone swimmingly (relatively, for someone new to linux), except for this msfconsole issue. I'd really love to get it working correctly. If anyone has a fix besides trying to install raspi-config (I'd really prefer not to do that), it would be a huge help. I'm getting the same error (cannot allocate memory) over and over again. I have to exit the xterm session to get it to stop.

I've had the same problem with msfconsole on my pi and bbb.
msfconsole works when you add a swapfile or swap partition about as much or more ram as you have.
There should be tutorials on the internet on how to do that.