PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator

Quest
2013-08-29, 21:21
This is to install a Kali Linux ISO on a USB key in a Windows environment. An alternative to Win32 Disk Imager software.
Tested with Kali Linux 1.0.4, 1.0.5, 1.0.7, 1.1.0, 2.0 - 64 and 32-Bit ISOs.
It works great for me. Report any bugs here.
Updated 6 October 2015 with Lili v2.9.4 / Kali 2.0

must have a FAT32 formated USB key. 8Gb is good for this installation. Note that with Kali Linux2, USB2 might be so slow that it is unworkable. Therefore a USB3 key is recommended.
a Kali ISO on the computer.
the USB key can be pre-partitioned* or not. It does not affect the installation.
*with a 4Gb FAT32 partition and the rest of the free space with a primary Ext4 partition labeled, persistence.

Download LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.4 or the latest build.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
Download > Download LiLi

Install LinuxLive USB Creator on the computer.

Plug in your USB key.

Start LiLi and choose the following settings to install Kali linux on USB key:

CHOOSE KEY: Select your USB key.
CHOOSE SOURCE: Choose kali linux ISO file.
PERSISTENCE: - not applicable -.
OPTIONS: Choose options.
Must have Internet if checking the "Enable launching LinuxLive in Windows" option, as it will download VirtualBox Portable -or- leave uncheck and follow instructions below under Virtual Box it is the same.
CREATE.

The process takes about 12-25 minutes. You now have a Kali bootable USB key!

Persistence

(it is the same procedure as in the official documentation)

Adding persistence (the ability to save files and changes across live boots) to your Kali Linux USB installation.

What you cannot do on a persistent system:

updates core files (kernel, etc...) = no full system updates.
install drivers.

What you can do on this kind of system :

install some software.
do some software updates.
create some files/folders.
install Kali Linux from your USB key on your PC's hard drive.

Create an additional partition on the USB key. Use a partitioning software of your choosing.

Select your USB key.
Move/Resize partition, and create a 4Gb empty space (or the size you see fit).
With that newly created empty space create a new primary Ext4 partition, labeled, persistence.
Apply all changes.

With the USB key plugged in, reboot the computer and start Kali on the USB.

Your computer must enable boot from USB (see settings in your BIOS).
When the Kali Linux boot screen is displayed, select the first "Live boot" from the menu. [Enter].

Once Kali booted on the desktop, open the terminal and enter the following commands one by one, either by typing or you can Copy/Paste these commands into the terminal.

mkdir /mnt/usb

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/usb

echo "/ union" >> /mnt/usb/persistence.conf

umount /mnt/usb
Reboot the computer.

Start Kali with the persistence option

You now have the choice to start Kali Live USB with the persistence option or not, when booting.

When the Kali Linux boot screen is displayed, select one of the "persistence" options from the menu.

Virtual Box

Making your Kali installation usable within Windows with VirtualBox.
Note that many Kali Linux related functions will not work within a virtual machine environment.

On the LinuxLive USB Creator site http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ download VirtualBox Portable. Download tab > Other versions : VirtualBox Portable.

Once downloaded, Unzip (decompress) VirtualBox portable.zip on your USB key. You now have a VirtualBox folder in your USB key.

Start VirtualBox.exe for the settings. Edit CPU, RAM, Network utilization.
Virtualize_This_Key.exe to start Kali Linux in the virtual machine.

and that's it!

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/release-notes

Version 2.9.4 (September 10th, 2015) :

Portable-VirtualBox pack has been updated to the latest version of VirtualBox 5.0.4. I fixed the issue with Virtualize_This_Key.exe that was not working anymore. I also updated the outdated icons on the EXE files.

New Linux distributions supported

Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" MATE/Cinnamon/KDE/Xfce DVD
elementary OS 0.3.1
Fedora 22 Gnome/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/MATE
CentOS 6.7 (CD/DVD)
Kali Linux 2.0
BackBox 4.3
Tails 1.5.1
Android x86 4.4 R3
Linux Lite 2.6

New major features

Windows 10 official support

EFI boot

I have resolved this issue, I was not aware that it was set to EFI only so I set it to both and it worked. USB 3.0 too...

j283lwwme2
2013-11-19, 21:44
Thanks, this worked for me.

Noob question though: I used a 4GB primary partition and then ran out of space when I ran the system updates. Did I do something wrong? Should I need that much space or can I somehow point system/package updates to the persistence partition?

Quest
2013-11-25, 00:22
What you cannot do on a persistent system:

updates core files (kernel, etc...) = no full system updates.
install drivers.

What you can do on this kind of system :

install some software.
do some software updates.
create some files/folders.
install Kali Linux from your USB key on your PC's hard drive.

So j283, I'm pretty sure that you cannot do a Kali update on a USB installation. You will have to make your own updated ISO to have an updated installation, or wait tomorrow (nov.25) for Kali 1.0.6 ;)

Any installed program will go on persistence. Nothing adds or update on the primary FAT32. So the 3G should be good. I like to make it bigger than 3Gb, just so I can make the primary partition usable under Win7 to store downloaded stuff. Other than that, it is waisted space.

Edit: Doesn't look like 1.0.6 will ship today. Still not worth it to create an updated ISO (imo) when a new version of Kali is imminent, as you will have to DL all 3Gigs in order to create a new uptodate ISO, and sometime that doesn't work. If you want to create a custom ISO, or already did an uptodade ISO and have all the files minus the recent updates, that's a different story..

j283lwwme2
2013-11-25, 19:47
...Any installed program will go on persistence. Nothing adds or update on the primary FAT32. So the 3G should be good. I like to make it bigger than 3Gb, just so I can make the primary partition usable under Win7 to store downloaded stuff. Other than that, it is waisted space....

So why do we even create an ext4 partition? Why not run the whole thing, everything, on fat32? Or all of it on ext4? I'm not clear why we need two separate differently formatted partitions...

Quest
2013-11-27, 16:38
The only reasons I can come up with is,

1. How would you install Kali from a Windows environment, when Windows cannot see Ext4 partition?

2. Ext4 is the best file system for Linux. Makes all other subsequent operations more logical.

It's like taking a taxi to get to the airport to take the plane. You cannot replace one with the other.

What really aggravates me, is that only 1 partition per USBdrive is visible under Windows, and Kali does not make it's own primary partition accessible. So file sharing cross platform requires a 2nd USBdrive or another disk drive. That is just ridiculous. I wish for a 3rd partition where both Win7 and Kali have access to. But nope. 2013 The Flintstones.

jclrita
2013-12-19, 01:47
I know a free partition software (http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/change-dynamic-disk-to-basic.htm) named Easeus partition master, you can try it.

Quest
2013-12-19, 21:12
and what is Easeus partition master going to do for us? Could you expend and elaborate?

jive137
2013-12-20, 06:47
Deleted my reply. Erroneous content.

Quest
2014-05-28, 13:20
Happy to report that installing Kali 1.0.7 with LinuxLive USB Creator(lili) 2.9 Alpha, is a success! The ISO is detected as Kali Linux 1.0.6

New Linux distributions
Lightweight Portable Security 1.4.1 (Deluxe)
Netrunner 13.12 (DVD)
Kali Linux 1.0.6
gNewSense 3.1 (GNOME)
CDlinux 0.9.7.1
Netrunner 13.12 (DVD)
Kali Linux 1.0.6

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/news/item/finally-a-new-beta

I will update the first post. Things are a little different now..

Quest
2015-02-11, 21:31
Still works like a charm with Lili v2.9.1 / Kali 1.1.0

The ISO is detected as 1.0.9

VirtualBox is horrible. Now won't even start.

xLc
2015-02-25, 18:11
When I did this I remember running into a slight problem with the root account. Every-time a live-CD is loaded it loads up the default root/toor combination which needs to be fixed in the persistent settings.

Refer to this post: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?1890-Live-persistence-install-on-bootable-USB-not-saving-root-password-change&p=36874&viewfull=1#post36874

IVIUPPET
2015-09-30, 15:36
Hi guys,

I am new to Kali but been using back track since the third one was released when I was in middle school. My "hacktop" (little portable Inspiron m1110 netbook) has lost many screws over the years from pulling drives and whatnot and has been through too many adventures resulting in many cracks, so I'd like to get my new laptop (lenovo w540) to serve two purposes. I had taken a break from all this stuff later in high school because I kept getting in trouble and my teacher said I'd go to jail (no, I get a well paying job!..... ugh noobs) so forgive my rustiness but I have taken some security classes in college and am getting back into it.

Anyway, going from an old BIOS machine with more friendly OS to UEFI and windows 8.1 has just thrown so many more variables into this I can't seem to isolate the problem and fix it quickly. Does this work for Kali 2.0 or will there be a similar guide? I got the first version of Kali up and running on my old laptop no problem a while ago and I'm dumbfounded by the fact that I can't get a linux disk to boot from USB. I really want to get this new epic version running! We are going to be doing some pen testing of drone protocols in my class!

I'm using a USB 2.0 drive in a 2.0 port just to eliminate unnecessary variables (although I'd love to get encrypted persistence going on my 64GB USB 3 multiboot drive!) but it seems whatever bootloader is on my comp doesn't care and just boots windows. I disabled all that hybrid shutdown stuff (although it still seems like it is affecting my boot) and I am about ready to just install grub and modify my hard drive contents (I'd prefer to keep it on a thumb drive for now, but want to install eventually). I guess I'll run through this procedure and try making bootable kali v1 just to rule out some things on my computer, but I am mostly wondering if anyone else found themselves in my shoes when upgrading to a new computer and new OS and if they have any pointers? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

IVIUPPET
2015-09-30, 20:16
I have resolved this issue, I was not aware that it was set to EFI only so I set it to both and it worked. USB 3.0 too. I love the new look! I'm sure I'll get used to the differences. Time to install!