PDA

View Full Version : Kali 1.0.4 will not boot on Raspberry Pi (Model B)

r00tusr
2013-09-01, 23:46
Hello Everyone,

I am reaching out for some help after hours of searching the internet with no solution. I cannot for the life of me get Kali installed on a SD card for my raspberry pi.

I am using the dd utillity from my xubuntu distro to write the images to my SD cards. I have an 8GB and 16GB. The 8GB is a transcend and the 16GB is a PNY. Both sd card model's are listed as supported on the rpi website.

I have downloaded the kali-linux-1.0.4-armel-rpi.img file three different times to make sure I didn't have a corrupted images. I have also downloaded an older version kali-linux-1.0-armel-raspberrypi.img and that also did not work. I extracted the images with once with the xz command, and once with gzip as I thought this could be the issue.

I am using the following DD command to write my images.
sudo dd bs=512k if=kali-linux-1.0.4-armel-rpi.img of=/dev/sdb

I am connecting to my computer with a usb console cable. The activity light lights a few times on the pi, but then stops. I am presented with the following output, and it just sits there:
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)

I downloaded raspbian wheezy and wrote that to the 8GB sd card. This booted on my rpi without issue, and can login. So it seems to be something with Kali installation process.

I am going nuts! My next step will be to download the image on my wife's windows machine, and try it there.

If someone has any idea's it would be greatly appreciated!

~Nick

r00tusr
2013-09-02, 15:06
Update:

I downloaded the image to a windows 7 box, and wrote the image with win32 disk imager. This also did not work. The raspberry pi stops at the same message:
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)

r00tusr
2013-09-02, 15:59
Update to the Update.

I now have it working. Using Kali with a TTL USB console cable does not work. I used an HDMI cable, and connected the PI to my tv. Everything is working properly now!

l0tek
2013-09-04, 15:05
Please See
http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?18166-Kali-1-0-4-armel-for-Raspberry-Pi-GUI-not-working/page2