PDA

View Full Version : Kali on Chromebook Clearification

Kalitarmac
2013-09-03, 04:08
Hello everyone, new poster here; I've been looking at the install for my Samsung Google Chromebook 11.6" and I'm just confused as the first time. I was able to get to the developer mode, but nothing after that with the dd utility, etc.

I can't work with the command line because these commands don't exist in the terminal window in chrome :(

is there a way I can use some sort of img.xz to usb to have it boot? :(

I would love to have this as a bootable OS on my chromebook :(

Please help!

Samsung Google Chromebook 11.6"
4GB USB stick
kali-linux-1.0.4-armhf-chromebook.img.xz file

agmand
2014-02-23, 01:36
Hi there,

I just ran across your post today, on Feb 22, 2014.
Has your issue been resolved?
If not, please let me know, I have Kali running on my HP Chromebook 11.

steev
2014-02-28, 06:45
Hello everyone, new poster here; I've been looking at the install for my Samsung Google Chromebook 11.6" and I'm just confused as the first time. I was able to get to the developer mode, but nothing after that with the dd utility, etc.

I can't work with the command line because these commands don't exist in the terminal window in chrome :(

is there a way I can use some sort of img.xz to usb to have it boot? :(

I would love to have this as a bootable OS on my chromebook :(

Please help!

Samsung Google Chromebook 11.6"
4GB USB stick
kali-linux-1.0.4-armhf-chromebook.img.xz file

Not with a 4GB USB stick, unless you want to create an image yourself (using an x86/amd64 kali installation somewhere). I plan to have the documentation updated tomorrow, but the instructions for you, would be something like...

ON AN x86/AMD64 Kali installation

cd ~
mkdir arm-stuff
cd arm-stuff
git clone https://github.com/offensive-security/gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7
export PATH=${PATH}:/root/arm-stuff/gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7/bin
git clone https://github.com/offensive-security/kali-arm-build-scripts
cd kali-arm-build-scripts
./build-deps.sh
apt-get install device-tree-compiler
$EDITOR chromebook-arm-samsung.sh

Edit line 126 - and change 7000 to 3500 (essentially switch it from 7GB to 3.5GB)
Since you only have 4GB to work with, you MAY want to consider looking in the other scripts and using xfce NOT gnome3. I'd HIGHLY recommend doing so.

Once that's done, just run

./chromebook-arm-samsung.sh 1.0.6a (version number is arbitrary)

Depending on the speed of your computer and internet connection, go out for a jog, coffee, run errands... whatever.
Whenever it finishes, you should have a directory called chromebook-1.0.6a and inside that will be the image compressed via .xz with sha1sums. Extract the xz file, and dd the image to your 4GB USB key.

If you haven't already, don't forget to run
crossystem dev_usb_boot=1 on the chromebook itself - switching it to developer mode isn't enough to tell it it's okay to boot from usb/sdcard.

Let me know if you have any issues.