PDA

View Full Version : Firmware - htc_9271.fw download failed - USB Wireless Adapter Problems

golfsoccer9
2013-10-19, 19:35
Hello, I recently purchased a TP Link TL-Wn722n USB Wireless Adapter for some penetration testing. I thought that the setup and everything would be simple, but I don't know what is going wrong? I've setup my network settings for bridged adapter and everything, and then I connect the USB Adapter to the VM. Upon doing this though, the green blinking light on the adapter stops blinking (possible problem?). Anyways, I run ifconfig and it doesn't show any wlan0 interface. In addition, iwconfig shows no wireless extensions.

The LSUSB command shows:

LSUSB:
device 002: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

When I run #dmesg | tail it says:

dmesg | tail:
ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271.fw requested
registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw download failed
ath9k_hts: USB layer deinitialized

I've checked in my /lib/firmware file for both the ar9721.fw and the htc_9271.fw files, and they're both there.

Not sure if this is relevant, but my kernel version as displayed through the command uname -v is:

#1 SMP Debian 3.\.2-0+kali8

uname -a

Linux Kali-VM 3.7-trunk-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.7.2-0+kali8 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm running Kali Linux as a Virtual Machine in VirtualBox. Any helps, tips, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!!

maverik35
2013-10-21, 17:46
How did you installed the firmware?..Did you installed from repos, from github or from other link?

When installing from repos: aptitude install firmware-atheros....

But if you installed in different way, you need to compile and copy it not in /lib/firmware, in debian iit uses: /usr/local/lib/firmware/

So please, be more specific as to How you installed it.

UncleVernon
2014-04-19, 09:33
I can confirm

aptitude install firmware-atheros

Worked for me in this situation

Thanks