PDA

View Full Version : Kali installer errors, kernel 486/686 mismatch?

Shatter
2013-04-12, 13:27
Greetings.

I'm confused. While attempting to perform a custom installation of Kali using the installer (non-gfx) I've been noticing these warnings and errors popup occasionally in the installer log even when following the kali installation docs. You can access the log with Alt + F4 during installation. A typical entry would look like this:

WARNING: Could not open /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-486/modules.builtin: No such file or directory

or during update-initramfs:

libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.7-trunk-486/modules.dep.bin'

I take it this happens because the installer kernel arch appears to be i486 while the target kernel that is being installed is i686? Seems to be a mismatch in the chroot. Now normally I would simply overlook these log entries, but what caught my eye way the fact that an error like this popped up in my terminal while I was doing initramfs-update for my custom installation. But despite these errors an installation seems to be valid?

There are lots of other errors in the log i.e. missing packages like acpi and the like.

~Shat