PDA

View Full Version : Problem during installation of VirtualBox Guest Additions

alechx
2013-04-12, 14:19
Hi guys!
After a successful installation of Kali Linux within VirtualBox, I tried to install also the guest additions but first, I wanted install the Linux Kernel headers by typing in the terminal:
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
but...
...it was impossible for Kali to find "linux-headers-3.7-trunk-686-pae"

Can anyone help me please?
alechx

maverik35
2013-04-12, 22:10
Try aptitude update, then see if kernels are correct: open up a terminal and type: uname -r

Then if kernels are correct, issue this command: aptitude install linux-headers-"output of uname -r"..You can copy and paste..

Try it.

jhlegend
2013-05-14, 09:09
Hi guys!
After a successful installation of Kali Linux within VirtualBox, I tried to install also the guest additions but first, I wanted install the Linux Kernel headers by typing in the terminal:
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
but...
...it was impossible for Kali to find "linux-headers-3.7-trunk-686-pae"

Can anyone help me please?
alechx

You're probably having problems because you're actually typing linux-headers into the terminal. Do not type: apt-get install -y linux-headers-$
Instead, type: apt-get install -y 3.7-trunk-686-pae, for example or whatever your kernel type is.
To find your kernel type. Open your terminal and type: uname -r
then copy and paste your kernel type after typing apt-get install -y
Hope this helps...

iscis
2013-05-15, 20:43
You're probably having problems because you're actually typing linux-headers into the terminal. Do not type: apt-get install -y linux-headers-$
Instead, type: apt-get install -y 3.7-trunk-686-pae, for example or whatever your kernel type is.
To find your kernel type. Open your terminal and type: uname -r
then copy and paste your kernel type after typing apt-get install -y
Hope this helps...

This still does nothing, unable to find linux-headers-3.7

jhlegend
2013-05-17, 05:58
This still does nothing, unable to find linux-headers-3.7

Sorry, but this works for me... BTW, you need to update your system before installing the kernel-headers.

Command: apt-get update

then do: apt-get install -y 3.7-trunk-686-pae (uname -r)