PDA

View Full Version : network managers off by default

ttt
2013-11-26, 15:51
Hi,

I have some problems with setting (or disabling) all network interfaces and managers upon starting kali. I'm using a live usb install (with persistence) of Kali 1.0.5c with Gnome wm.

So the issue is that there seem to be a few places in gnome where network connections are managed (nm-applet on the top toolbar and network page of system settings) and they are all ON by default.

Is there any way to ensure that no network managers are started and all interfaces are down? I have made a simple script which I run each time:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan1 down
ifconfig eth0 down
macchanger -A eth0
macchanger -A wlan0
macchanger -A wlan1
ps aux | grep -E '[w]pa|[n]m-a|[d]hc'

and then I manually kill the processes listed, but I am totally aware how lame and unprofessional this is ;) Plus, it seems that sometimes the interfaces will be brought back up, and I don't really know how to find out whats causing it. Will be very grateful for any suggestions.

also, as a side question: is there any way to boot with persistence each time, without having to modify boot parameters? The only config file I found (I believe /lib/live/mount/medium/isolinux/live.cfg) is not editable...

thanks!