PDA

View Full Version : Can not install Kali at all

systemcrash86
2013-03-15, 23:43
I can’t boot off the new Kali distro?

I have dual boot with Window 7 and Backtrack so i know what i am doing, however when i download Kali and the sha1sum matches i use unetbootin to make the usb bootable – something which i have down many times messy around with Backtrack.
Except it wont boot up i keep getting lots of errors flying past my screen.

No matter how many times i download the distro i get the same results even though the sha1sum matches.

Any ideas?

muts
2013-03-16, 00:49
Yes, read the documentation.
http://docs.kali.org/category/installation

AABoyles
2013-03-16, 21:02
Don't use unetbootin. I tried for an hour or two, but then I tried using dd from the command line and it worked perfectly the first time. Basically, here's what you do:

1. Remove all your USB drives except the one you plan to install Kali on.
2. Execute this command in your terminal:
sudo dd if=/path/to/kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k
3. Wait until it finishes.
4. Boot into your new Kali USB install.

micoalex
2013-03-18, 15:01
I'm running VirtualBox, I tried to install kali but it always get stuck on "configure the package manager" I have no way to bypass this screen and it just doesnt let me do anything else. I tried the graphic and the text way and I always get this error. Any thoughts? wha am I doing wrong? I also have windows7, xp and BT on my VM's but I cant get to install kali

maverik35
2013-03-19, 03:06
Please people, before doing something, read the wiki..There is lots of work invested in writting it and still nobody or almost nobody takes a little time to read it before doing something..

It's all there..Do not take anything for granted. This is Kali not BT5..Let's read the wiki.

Luck.

systemcrash86
2013-03-20, 03:39
After reading the documentation I used the installer suggested and not unetbootin and it worked. I just figured that unetbootin would work because I have installed many distros using it

bofh28
2013-03-21, 00:12
unetbootin doesn't generate a correct syslinux.cfg which can cause all sorts of problems as I found out. Here are the corrections you must make:
label ubnentry1
menu label ^Live (forensic mode)
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount

should be
label ubnentry1
menu label ^Live (forensic mode)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount

label ubnentry2
menu label ^Graphical install
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/install/initrd.gz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet

should be
label ubnentry2
menu label ^Graphical install
kernel /install/gtk/vmlinuz
append initrd=/install/gtk/initrd.gz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet

add
label ubnentry4
menu label ^Text install
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append initrd=/install/initrd.gz vga=788 -- quiet

n0de
2013-03-23, 14:32
Indeed, People like the person over in the support sector, because he was trying to install flash and didn't bother looking through the forums for the howto which was right there way before his post. People just hope to find solutions without searching because they are lazy (most of them).

Jon
2013-03-31, 18:33
I've actually been having a similar problem.. I'm trying to dual boot Kali with Windows XP (yeah I know, old school) but every time I configure the live USB I can ONLY boot it in failsafe mode and the install never works, not even from a mini iso, it just reboots my computer.. I've only caught a glimpse of the error message and it has something to do with firmware aborting, or aborting because of firmware..? I'm not sure but it won't work in failsafe mode either after I install it.. however occasionally I have gotten a black screen instead of it rebooting.. but my keyboard doesn't have any lights on it and nothing works.
My system is a Dell Optiplex GX 520 with a Pentium 4 single core CPU at 3GHz, a Nvidia 6200 GPU and 2GB of RAM

maverik35
2013-04-01, 00:12
I've actually been having a similar problem.. I'm trying to dual boot Kali with Windows XP (yeah I know, old school) but every time I configure the live USB I can ONLY boot it in failsafe mode and the install never works, not even from a mini iso, it just reboots my computer.. I've only caught a glimpse of the error message and it has something to do with firmware aborting, or aborting because of firmware..? I'm not sure but it won't work in failsafe mode either after I install it.. however occasionally I have gotten a black screen instead of it rebooting.. but my keyboard doesn't have any lights on it and nothing works.
My system is a Dell Optiplex GX 520 with a Pentium 4 single core CPU at 3GHz, a Nvidia 6200 GPU and 2GB of RAM

Have you tried Live DVD?...Also check the sha1..

Jon
2013-04-01, 01:35
Have you tried Live DVD?...Also check the sha1..
I have tried a Live DVD and can only boot it in failsafe mode, and when I try to boot in normal mode I just get a black screen and my keyboard is unresponsive... however I was watching the text scrolling across the screen with the Live DVD and I saw something about not finding a Nvidia driver or something... but it works in failsafe mode.. I wonder why.. and the sha1's match

cdjones
2013-04-01, 15:27
You need to install Kali with only one partition. Selecting any of the other options will lead to failure every single time. I'm sure this is a bug because I've seen other people with the same issue.

Jon
2013-04-02, 01:10
You need to install Kali with only one partition. Selecting any of the other options will lead to failure every single time. I'm sure this is a bug because I've seen other people with the same issue.

So I can't dual boot? That sucks.. I hope they fix that bug... if it is a bug and not my system being stupid

ding
2013-04-03, 13:44
it jsut wont work with me at all , im trying to install on harddisk with live cd but it wont boot!!

maverik35
2013-04-03, 19:59

I have Kali with BT5, Debian Tsting and win7 using one swap and have no issues at all. I even have a second hard drive with only kali (/, /home, swap) and I can see all distros from the first drive and boot from any partition, either in HDD1 or HDD2...

So unless a member do something wrong, I hardly belive an issue or even a bug with debian installer..

Luck.

maverik35
2013-04-03, 20:00
it jsut wont work with me at all , im trying to install on harddisk with live cd but it wont boot!!

Would you please post the way you are trying to install and the HDD map (As to partitions on HDD) please?

ding
2013-04-07, 19:09
yeah i managed to get it to wokr, the problme was with the writting on the dvd , i was using toast latest edition for mac , i was burning it as data normally as i did with bt5r3, but it wouldnt work on startup , the dvd would show up on the desktop with all the files intact. what i did was instead of burning it from the data section i burned it from the copy section , toast users will know, and it worked perfect!

Jon
2013-04-17, 03:17
I have Kali with BT5, Debian Tsting and win7 using one swap and have no issues at all. I even have a second hard drive with only kali (/, /home, swap) and I can see all distros from the first drive and boot from any partition, either in HDD1 or HDD2...

So unless a member do something wrong, I hardly belive an issue or even a bug with debian installer..

Luck.
Can you please tell me how you did that? I am now trying to dual boot Kali with win7 on a 1tb hard drive, I ended up changing the specs of my computer because my mobo went out on me so I rebuilt my computer.

systemcrash86
2013-04-18, 01:14
I tried using unetbootin like i always do when installing disto's. However it wasn't working with Kali. But after looking at the Kali documentation i found the Win32DiskImager and that worked. I have no idea why unetbootin failed.