PDA

View Full Version : Can't get wirless to work on Raspberry Pi, tried many suggestions

DrEvil
2013-12-18, 03:51
Greetings.

I have Kali (started with 1.0 and upgraded and dist-upgraded to current...this forum taught me that) on a Raspberry Pi Model B (16G Class 10 SD card [gparted to use full card]). I'm connecting to it via SSH through my LAN. I can't get either of my Wireless cards (RTL8187 and RTL8187B) to work, but they work great in Kali 1.0.5 on my laptop. The Wireless cards are plugged into a powered USB hub, so power shouldn't be an issue.

ifconfig and iwconfig both show no wlan* devices. This is true whether or not the wireless cards are plugged into the powered hub when the RPi is started or if they are plugged in after startup and login.

I'm new to networking so I'm probably missing something.

What should /etc/network/interfaces contain? And is there anything else I was supposed to configure?

Update Dec 18, 9am: lsmod shows absolutely nothing.

DrEvil
2013-12-18, 22:25
I think I may have found the problem. I had overclocked the Pi to 800MHz, which isn't much, but evidently the tools I installed to enable overclocking caused the kernel modules not to be read, hence lsmod returning nothing. That, and the Activity LED on the Pi not lighting up like it used to made me think it was these tools.

So, yet again I wiped the SD card, started from the Kali 1.0 image, and did the update upgrade dist-upgrade (separately) to the current version. Now everything seems to working.

If you've overclocked your Pi and now nothing shows up in lsmod and you can't get the Wifi to work, it's probably the result of the overclocking. Hope this helps.