PDA

View Full Version : Wireless trouble - Ralink RT5370 "No wireless extentions"

root@kali
2014-01-03, 02:56
Hi! I successfully installed Kali on my Raspberry Pi, and everything works just fine, except for the troublesome Ralink RT5370 WiFi adapter..

I installed the firmware for it using "apt-get install firmware-ralink". Afterwards connecting it to my router for browsing the WWW works just fine using xterm to edit "/etc/network/interfaces". The problems occurs when e.g. trying to enable packet injection: "airmon-ng start wlan0"; nothing happens. Just an empty list under the "Interface Chipset Driver" headers. Neither wicd or fern detects any wireless adapters, although I know my Ralink is running because I managed to connect to the internet....

iwconfig shows: wlan0 no wireless extensions

Is anyone familiar with my problem?

elohquiel
2014-02-09, 19:33
Hello, keeping this thread alive.

anyone else having this issue? I haven't been able to figure it out

wwinzig
2014-02-27, 15:20
Make sure you have iw tools installed with „apt-get install iw“
check your adapter with "iwconfig" Something like the following should be read:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Monitor Frequency:2.442 GHz Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

Very essential is here "Mode:Monitor" if its not in Monitor mode airmon will NOT work !
"airmon-ng start wlan0" should do it automatically but very often it didnt work. No worries it can be done manually... ;-)
iwconfig wlan0 = shows if the WLAN adapter "interface mode" is Monitor Mode ist (should NOT be "Managed"!)
ifconfig wlan0 down = deactivates the WLAN interface to switch mode
iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor = switch adapter into Monitor mode.
ifconfig wlan0 up = reactivates the adapter

A "iwconfig wlan0" should now show the adapter in "Mode:Monitor" !
An "airodump-ng wlan0" should now show all SSIDs in the neigborhood.
"airbase-ng -e "Fee internet access here" -c 2 mon0" spoofs a free WLAN accesspoint wich can be seen with the free inSSIDer Tool:
www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

steev
2014-02-28, 09:03
I don't have a 5370 - could you list the actual model of the wifi device you have? Also, what driver does it say you are using for the device - you can get this by running lsmod.