PDA

View Full Version : Alfa AWUS036H Connection Drop Problem

kaboyish
2014-02-23, 21:56
hello

I have had an issue with my alfa AWUS036H wifi adapter on kali linux. It works perfectly on windows. However, whenever i boot kali, it connects to a wifi connection, but cant load pages. I found a work around of installing WICD, and purging network manager. That worked for about 2 days, and i was back to square one of having issues to connect.

After extensive googleing, i came across this fix

modprobe rtl8187
iwconfig wlan1 rate 5.5M fixed
iwconfig wlan1 frag 2346
iwconfig wlan1 rts 2347
iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30

Thanks to this, so far, i have had no issues as of yet. I have two questions,
1. Is there a way of making this fix permanent? That is, i would like that code to run automatically without me having to do it manually, everytime i boot the machine.
2. If this fix fails me again, is there another work around that stops connections from dropping

Regards,

Andrew.

P.S. i am a novice in linux, so kindly show me how, step by step, please:confused:

maverik35
2014-02-26, 04:41
I have the same usb alfa and it works just great "out of the box"..

No step by step formulas..Sorry. Create an script and then include it in runlevels 2-5.

But again, it works out of the box.

kaboyish
2014-02-26, 05:18
thanks maverik35 for the response. how do i make a script? as i said earlier, im a novice
just to update you on whats going on, i reinstalled kali linux again, and ran into the same problem. the card doesnt have an issue cause it works flawlessly in windows.

Rocketballz
2014-03-01, 11:47
I have the same wifi card and was having the same issues as you if I'm reading your post correctly. All I did was turned off my internal wifi card, it seemed as though they both were fighting for the wifi connection which lead to it getting dropped every 5 minutes. When I am on windows it works perfect, I have no problems at all. If I run the command sudo ifconfig wlan0 down (whichever usually is my internal card) I can get a stable connection on the alfa most the time as well. As far as a script goes, I'm not sure of one.

kaboyish
2014-03-02, 09:33
thanks for the advice

If I run the command sudo ifconfig wlan0 down (whichever usually is my internal card) I can get a stable connection on the alfa most the time as well.