PDA

View Full Version : Adventures with RK3066/MK808/SS808 Kali Installation

PwnDr0wn
2014-02-25, 10:04
Hey all,

During my adventures of getting Kali working on my SS808 I ran into a lot of snags, and there doesn't seem to be very much information on getting newer versions of Kali Linux functioning on this platform. So hopefully I can post this and help some people in the future. There are already a number of threads with unanswered questions that I think this post will address. Knowing these things would have saved me a LOT of time, so I'm hoping it saves you some!

The first thing you will probably notice when trying to install Kali linux is that the kernel.img is nowhere to be found. The kernel.img seems to only be part of the ss808 1.0 files. So you will need to get it from there.
The second important thing which is not detailed in the instructions is that when you place Kali on your memory stick, SD card, whatever... that partition must be named 'linuxroot', if it is not, it will not boot!
The third thing you'll want to know is that the current (as of today) 1.0.6 image does not work! It will run once, and after you reboot the device, it will no longer function! I'm unsure why that is at this point (I haven't done enough digging into the issue), but for now I'm using 1.0.5...

I have a handful of follow up issues of my own I hope to address over the next few weeks...
Getting the on-board wireless working...
Getting a USB wireless NIC functioning (AWUS036NHR)
Getting the on-board bluetooth working
Getting an external GPS module working

reality9
2014-03-03, 22:53
Question...
Can you help me get Kali running on my RM3188 tablet???
From what I gather so far... I need to compile my own RK3188 kali kernel + build a new ARMHF image. Put the kernel in the recovery partition and and kali image on the SD card.
Is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated as I have tried almost everything with no luck.

Thanks,
- Reality9

Hey all,

During my adventures of getting Kali working on my SS808 I ran into a lot of snags, and there doesn't seem to be very much information on getting newer versions of Kali Linux functioning on this platform. So hopefully I can post this and help some people in the future. There are already a number of threads with unanswered questions that I think this post will address. Knowing these things would have saved me a LOT of time, so I'm hoping it saves you some!

The first thing you will probably notice when trying to install Kali linux is that the kernel.img is nowhere to be found. The kernel.img seems to only be part of the ss808 1.0 files. So you will need to get it from there.
The second important thing which is not detailed in the instructions is that when you place Kali on your memory stick, SD card, whatever... that partition must be named 'linuxroot', if it is not, it will not boot!
The third thing you'll want to know is that the current (as of today) 1.0.6 image does not work! It will run once, and after you reboot the device, it will no longer function! I'm unsure why that is at this point (I haven't done enough digging into the issue), but for now I'm using 1.0.5...

I have a handful of follow up issues of my own I hope to address over the next few weeks...
Getting the on-board wireless working...
Getting a USB wireless NIC functioning (AWUS036NHR)
Getting the on-board bluetooth working
Getting an external GPS module working

PwnDr0wn
2014-03-04, 05:45
Sounds like you're on the right track. As noted above, make sure that partition on the SD card is named "linuxroot." Sounds like you'll have it running in no time. :)