PDA

View Full Version : Logged in twice?

Legion1349
2014-02-27, 08:55
Hello, perhaps someone has had the same issue in the past and can help me resolve it. My problem is as follows:

As you can see, I have 2 of most things. It appears that I am logged in twice on the same user. When I start a program, I get one program GUI and two taskbar buttons. I also have 4 workspaces that are cloned so it looks like I have 8. Also, you can see that I have 2 "root" menus on the top left. This is persistent on reboot. This happened after I was messing with display options in the AMD Catalyst Control Center GUI that you see open on the screen. Note also that I have two monitors, but even with the secondary monitor disabled/unplugged this problem is still there. So far, I haven't been able to get it back to the way it is supposed to look. I have messed around with the settings that are in there and it doesn't want to work. Anybody have any suggestions?

-Kali Linux 1.0.6 64-bit

-AMD Radeon HD 5870 (installed with drivers, and the Catalyst Control Center)

-I only use root, no other user accounts

-Two monitors (you can see the side of my second monitor on the right where the "2" is)

Legion1349
2014-02-27, 11:19
After about 3 hours of googling I have FINALLY arrived at the solution. I ran "dconf-editor", then in /org/gnome/gnome-panel/layout there are 2 sections; "object-id-list" and "toplevel-id-list".

The "object-id-list" it is normally supposed to look similar to this:

['menu-bar', 'clock', 'notification-area', 'user-menu', 'window-list', 'workspace-switcher', 'object-0', 'object-1']

but mine had something similar to this:

['menu-bar', 'clock', 'notification-area', 'user-menu', 'window-list', 'workspace-switcher', 'menu-bar-0', 'clock-0', 'notification-area-0', 'user-menu-0', 'window-list-0', 'workspace-switcher-0', 'object-0', 'object-1']

If you run into this problem, delete the duplicated variables with the "-0" appended to them and it will update immediately. This problem did not return for me after a reboot and now I'm good to go!

clfarmer21
2014-03-01, 02:19
After about 3 hours of googling I have FINALLY arrived at the solution. I ran "dconf-editor", then in /org/gnome/gnome-panel/layout there are 2 sections; "object-id-list" and "toplevel-id-list".

The "object-id-list" it is normally supposed to look similar to this:

['menu-bar', 'clock', 'notification-area', 'user-menu', 'window-list', 'workspace-switcher', 'object-0', 'object-1']

but mine had something similar to this:

['menu-bar', 'clock', 'notification-area', 'user-menu', 'window-list', 'workspace-switcher', 'menu-bar-0', 'clock-0', 'notification-area-0', 'user-menu-0', 'window-list-0', 'workspace-switcher-0', 'object-0', 'object-1']

If you run into this problem, delete the duplicated variables with the "-0" appended to them and it will update immediately. This problem did not return for me after a reboot and now I'm good to go!

Wow I just had this exact problem, and THANK YOU! for posting how to fix it. It happened right after I did, aticonfig --initial -f

Took my a few hours to find this post. lol
Thanks Alot