PDA

View Full Version : Installing from amd64.iso onto VMWare Workstation 8 - NIC not recognized

C-64 Hacker
2013-03-16, 04:46
Been trying to get this installed on VMWare Workstation 8. Using the kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso image.

Three different install attempts, and it isn't recognizing the VMWare NIC. Is this to be expected, and is there a way around it? I did used the appliance, which failed at first until I saw another post about changing the virtualHW.version version to "8". That works (at least for accepting the NIC and getting me to see my network). But I'd really like a fresh install if for no other reason than to say I got the **** thing installed.

brav0hax
2013-03-16, 05:40
Please make sure you are following the official documentation found here -> http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-vmware-tools-kali-guest

C-64 Hacker
2013-03-16, 06:39
Please make sure you are following the official documentation found here -> http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-vmware-tools-kali-guest

Yea, but the problem wasn't about installing the VMWare tools, it was about getting the OS to recognize the NIC so I can go about downloading open-vm-tools or the linux-headers libraries.

Any, issue resolved by installing from the kali-linux-1.0.1-i386.iso image instead of the kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso image.

brav0hax
2013-03-16, 07:18
OK I thought perhaps installing the tools may have helped to jar something loose.

I am not exactly sure of all the fixes, but I do know there were issues with regards to usb mice and keyboards not working during the install process. That has been fixed in 1.0.1

sn0wcr0w
2013-03-17, 04:48
I did an install of kali-linux-1.0.1-amd64 to a VMWorkstation 8 VM without any problems. The network settings I chose were Bridged and Replicate physical network connection state checked. Detected the NIC as an intel 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (which isn't what the underlying host has). No issues at all. Perhaps it was something fixed by the 1.0.1 fix.

muts
2013-03-17, 14:28
We had no problems with networking and the latest version of VMWare Workstation for Win / Linux and Fusion for Mac. Your problem is apparently elsewhere. The 1.0.1 bugfix had to do with USB keyboard support.

maverik35
2013-03-19, 03:09
As far as I know, Virtual Machines do not support Internal Wifi devices unless they are USB...They can detect Ethernet, though, but not Wifi...