PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Headers Installation

indeed
2014-05-27, 09:28
Hi,
After installing the latest Kali Linux Beaglebone Black image onto my Beaglebone Black, I have come across some issues with certain things that I try to "make" (this is for a patch). When I enter make, it responds with errors about kernel headers not being installed, or to specify the correct path to them. Can anyone direct me as to how to install the correct headers please?
I've tried using apt-cache search linux-headers and installing some of the packages that come up, but even after that it still errors. I've also searched on these forums and the internet, but I haven't found anything.
Thanks

g0tmi1k
2014-05-27, 14:53
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
#*may need to reboot here into a new kernel*
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Source: http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux

indeed
2014-05-28, 12:08
apt-get dist-upgrade returned that I have all the latest stuff, so nothing happened there.
How is one to boot into a new kernel as you say might be necessary?
I just skipped that step as I don't know what do to, and I did the apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r).
This returned
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.8.13-bone35.1
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-3.8.13-bone35.1'
I did also go to the official site which has the recommended sources in /etc/apt/sources.list, and I added the source repositories just in case, but this made no difference.
I think I will try booting from a new image because I may have messed some things up previously.

indeed
2014-05-28, 13:43
Yes I booted up an fresh image of Kali and still responds the same with no package found...

steev
2014-06-02, 09:41
Building things against the kali arm images is going to be a tiny bit difficult unless you actually build the image yourself, or you'll need to download the source code for the kernel. We are working on a way to rectify the situation, but as it currently stands, the easiest way to figure out where the source is, is to use the kali-arm-build-scripts repo, look at the script, and pull down the sources. The bbb in particular uses it's own crafty little kernel build system, which is essentially another script that automates it. I do believe that MOST of it would work with a mainline kernel, but there are some bits that are still missing, but hopefully around 3.16's release, things needed will be there, and we can actually use the same sources as the x86/amd64 installs do. Only time will tell though.