PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED! COMING SOON! "Dual-Boot that Mac!" Videos and Written Guides!

roadrunnerTX
2014-07-30, 16:08
UPDATE: (8/6/2014)
Wooohooo! The install video is done!
I am in the process of uploading it now. I will have it annotated in just a few hours and will set it to 'Public' when complete.
I will be following this video up with a presentation on final cleanup and tweaking.

I hope that you find this all very useful.

BTW - I will also be posting the new ProjectFile package to SourceForge as well.

Enjoy!

RoadRunner
https://forums.kali.org/images/smilies/cool.png

UPDATE: (8/4/2014):
Time frame for complete video and SourceForge.net package download will be this Saturday (as long as those pesky clients leave me alone! lol)

I have streamlined the install considerably and I am anxious to get this video up on YouTube. If I can just get three hours undisturbed... !

As stated on my YouTube site, the first video will be replaced on the same day that I put up the 2nd video -- which will take you all the way through the final tweaking stages. I will also update that project zip file on SourceForge.net at the same time. So, if you have already downloaded that file, you can delete it.

UPDATE (8/3/2014):
Although I am running into a couple of snag's with other issues taking time away from the project, I did create a package that can be downloaded from SourceForge. The package is designed to be used with the videos. The link for the package is on my YouTube site.

Also, as a 'heads up', I will be modifying the first video to provide a more streamlined approach; and reduce the overall time required to get the install completed.

BTW: Inside the package is a PDF that goes over creating bootable USB's for MacBooks. Enjoy!

Stay Tuned!
-------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (8/1/2014):
1st video is available at:
*REMOVED*
It's about 15 minutes of background and tools prep. I should be completing the main portion of partitioning and installing today!
---------------------------------------------------

Hey all!
After innumerable hours of head banging, cussing and overwhelming feelings of defeat, I have finally come up with a solution that works -- and continues to work -- for getting a MacBook Pro 5.5 (mid 2009) to dual boot OSX and Kali 1.0.8 with the entire installation of Kali being encrypted!

I went through the entire install twice -- using my own notes -- just to make sure it wasn't 'dumb luck' and I can now post that, starting this Saturday (August 2nd), I will commence a video and accompanying project guide to show you how I do it.
I will start with the video and afterwards put out the guide as a downloadable PDF file.

I will be posting the videos on YouTube and putting the ISO and PDF's in the cloud to share.

As a part of that guide, I will also show you how to build a bootable USB with Kali 1.0.8 and persistence.
In addition, I will have an ISO prepared that already has persistence that you can just simply 'dd' or otherwise burn to a USB and boot from it.

I created that work because of an ongoing case of 'premature eject-ulation' (a phrase coined by my wife) wherein the DVD -- for no apparent reason at all -- decides that it will eject itself from the drive! Usually during an install!

So, after creating the USB, I discovered that when the drive was re-initialized and Snow Leopard was reinstalled that situation went away! It appears that it has something to do with upgrades beyond 10.6. So, if you are currently having that issue yourself, you can boot from the USB I will put in the cloud, use gparted to slam the drive, reinitialize a gpt partition, and boot your Snow Leopard Install DVD to reinstall.

Anyway, I am giving myself 2 to 3 days to complete the video.

Please let me know how much interest there is in this project.

RoadRunner of Texas

alchemix
2014-08-02, 22:00
Awesome timing RoadRunner,
I am trying to get a 5,4 up and running and my first usb attempt is not going so well. I think I forgot to format, so that's next. What modifications did you need to make to the iso?
-alchemix

roadrunnerTX
2014-08-03, 16:09
I have created a package that everyone will be able to download before going through the video.
That package has a step-by-step to creating a bootable usb that will work on the MacBook.
I plan on using Sourceforge for the download site.

I am running into a little difficulty with some other issues pressing in on my time.
But, be patient and I will have everything up on the YouTube site soon...

RoadRunner
:)

roadrunnerTX
2014-08-06, 16:13
UPDATE: (8/6/2014)
Wooohooo! The install video is done!
I am in the process of uploading it now. I will have it annotated in just a few hours and will set it to 'Public' when complete.
I will be following this video up with a presentation on final cleanup and tweaking.

I hope that you find this all very useful.

Enjoy!

RoadRunner
:cool:

Stagg
2014-08-06, 18:35
Will you add the tutorial how to make a Kali Live USB today? :) I just have a lot of trouble to make it work.

roadrunnerTX
2014-08-06, 22:13
UPDATE: (8/8/2014)
As it turns out, once you have GRUB installed on the HD -- as in the case of my dual-booting, fully encrypted, install of Kali -- I cannot find a way to get a USB (using the usual ways of rEFIt, etc..) to boot! No matter what I do, it keeps finding the GRUB installed on my HD and transferring to that! I am at a loss as to how to make it work -- other than undo my dual-boot. Definitely not interested in doing that. So, I have pulled the PDF file from the KaliProject files and do not have any plans to pursue a bootable USB.

For those wishing to pursue this, here is a link to the original post that I got me started -- and worked! -- until I did the dual boot.
http://mac.linux.be/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88
This article was useful in learning how to extract my ISO's for other methods of getting a USB to boot.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/extracting-particular-file-from-linux-iso-cd-image-file-after-installation.html

I hope that these links are useful to you...

RoadRunner TX

UPDATE: (8/7/2014) My sincere apologies! The file for creating a bootable USB has typo's! Do Not Use it for now!
I will edit it and repost!

Will you add the tutorial how to make a Kali Live USB today? :) I just have a lot of trouble to make it work.

If you download the Project Fles from SourceForge you will find a Step-by-step for creating a bootable USB that works on a MacBook.

Just copy the files from the Kali DVD instead of LXDE DVD as used in the example.

I will be creating a video on that this weekend...

Stagg
2014-08-07, 05:48
Would you mind to give me a link to project files?:)

roadrunnerTX
2014-08-10, 07:49
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualbootkalimacosx/