PDA

View Full Version : Kali not installing on VMWare Workstation 10.03

bcarney
2014-08-11, 02:21
I've tried a number of versions (1.00 - 1.08) of Kali with the same result, failed installs. I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I've verified the integrity of the ISO and it's spot on. It fails at different points during the install usually while installing grub or the step before or after grub (That is what is so confusing). I've a lotted the up to 1 gig in the VM for the install with the same issue; fail right around installing grub. I've tried every partition configuration available by default. Install logs all say the same thing: out of space (Backtrack installs have never come close to requiring a 1gig of space). I am installing it from the ISO under VMWare Workstation 10.03.

I just tried the mini ISO and it installed fine. So the questions are: What am I missing with the full ISO install? Is there anyway to add all of the Kali packages to the mini ISO? Is there a custom partition configuration required?

Thanks in advance
bcarney

g0tmi1k
2014-08-12, 08:27
Install logs all say the same thing: out of space (Backtrack installs have never come close to requiring a 1gig of space). I am installing it from the ISO under VMWare Workstation 10.03.
Theres your answer =). Out of disk space. Make sure the host OS has enough disk space as well as the Virtual machine (note, double check your partiation layout during the setup too).

Kali-Linux isn't Backtrack Linux. The requirements are different too.

I just tried the mini ISO and it installed fine. So the questions are: What am I missing with the full ISO install? Is there anyway to add all of the Kali packages to the mini ISO? Is there a custom partition configuration required?

The mini ISO is just the core stuff. The bare necessities (you'll soon find that all 'standard' tools are missing). Its the smallest install of Kali-Linux you can do.
If you want to 'upgrade' to the standard tool package, you can use the meta packages. See: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-metapackages/.
However, by doing so, good chance you'll run out of disk space again - as it will be the same as the full install as before.