PDA

View Full Version : no internet access on Kali on Android

GT_User
2014-09-02, 06:33
Hi All,
I am running an install of Kali on my rooted Galaxy tab2 10.1 using Linux deploy and VNC.
the install runs perfectly but I noticed it doesn't have any of the native tools , so I tried to install them but there seems to be no internet access from within Kali.

I am in root and I tried from terminal starting with the software centre : apt-get install software-centre
but it cant connect to the net, so I opened ice weasel and same story.

I tried the "eth0 up" command I found by searching google and youtube but to no avail.
does anyone have some advice on where I can look to fix this issue?

many thanks

staticn0de
2014-09-02, 08:04
Hi All,
I am running an install of Kali on my rooted Galaxy tab2 10.1 using Linux deploy and VNC.
the install runs perfectly but I noticed it doesn't have any of the native tools , so I tried to install them but there seems to be no internet access from within Kali.

I am in root and I tried from terminal starting with the software centre : apt-get install software-centre
but it cant connect to the net, so I opened ice weasel and same story.

I tried the "eth0 up" command I found by searching google and youtube but to no avail.
does anyone have some advice on where I can look to fix this issue?

many thanks

perhaps 'ifup eth0'

I have not used kali on android, but it must be similar. Use lsmod, lspci, lsusb (im not sure of the interface kali uses)

What you could do, is download apache and install that on the phone (not sure if that is possible) and then store the debs you want to install in your own local repo, I do it for when I compile things myself and store them for later (again, not on a phone but lets think outside the box)

Do you expect to have internet access? What is the wireless chipset in use on the tablet? thats a good place to start so it can be manually loaded if need be and modprobed into the kernel.

GT_User
2014-09-02, 10:26
I have not used kali on android, but it must be similar. Use lsmod, lspci, lsusb (im not sure of the interface kali uses)

What you could do, is download apache and install that on the phone (not sure if that is possible) and then store the debs you want to install in your own local repo, I do it for when I compile things myself and store them for later (again, not on a phone but lets think outside the box)

Do you expect to have internet access? What is the wireless chipset in use on the tablet? thats a good place to start so it can be manually loaded if need be and modprobed into the kernel.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the help, I did try your 'ifup eth0' suggestion with no success. I then thought maybe its not called eth0 so I did a ifquery -l and it says my interface is called "lo"
so I tried a ifup lo and it said its already configured (as per the attached pic) but still no internet connection.

I will research you other suggestions and see if I can solve the issue.

thanks again for the advice, its much appreciated.

355[QUOTE=staticn0de;36811]perhaps 'ifup eth0'

GT_User
2014-09-04, 17:10
So i have worked through the suggestions with no success unfortunately but it gave me an idea, i think my eth0 is not assigned to my wifi connection runnng on android...

So the way i understand it, i am running kali from an image in vnc onto of th devices OS, so its like runnning a VM ontop of windows right?

Therefore Kali needs to be told what resources are available to it, in other words...i need to "tell" kali what to use as a connection to the net. Sort of mapping the eth0 to the androids wifi connecion.

Does anyone know how to do that?
Can i do it from he terminal within kali or does it have to be configured outside of kali in the settings?

Sorry for the noob questions and explanation...hopefully im making sense. :o

GT_User
2014-09-06, 12:01
Problem solved:

So i managed to find out that my ethernet card isnt called eth0 but rather rntb0 and then the simple rntb0 up worked a charm.

Thanks for the earlier suggestions, it led me to the answer indirectly. Much appreciated

aladdine
2016-12-13, 13:48
I had this problem
Try to change your dns on linux deploy & write Google dns 8.8.8.8
Or change from shell of kali
(You must be root first )
Write: leafpad /etc/resolv.conf
And change
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
1 2 3 viva Algérie