PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kali on HP Chromebook11 problem

defuncta
2014-09-07, 07:35
Im new to linux and chrome os, but I really want to learn kali. I have put my chromebook in dev mod and activate usb boot.

Now im going to use the dd utility but I dont have a clue where the local download directory is on chrome os where the Kali HP ARM Chromebook image is.

So I have to change this dd if=kali-chromebook.img of= "/dev/sdb" bs=512k

I tried this another (https://citruspi.io/kali-on-chromebook/)

But when I boot the usb I get this message "boot /vmlinux.uimg not found"

Is it realy possible to get HP Chromebook11 to work fine on Kali?

Kind regards Christian

dretastic
2014-09-23, 22:55
When did you get your Chromebook? If its a brand new G3 then the chip is now an intel chip. (I'm in the same situation) I haven't found a new tutorial to get it working yet.

agmand
2014-10-02, 17:33
I have a first release HP Chromebook (ARM).
It works fine with release 1.0.6 of Kali, which I managed to keep updated.
Even Iceweasel works, but there are applications, like the VLC player, for instance, that do not.

However, I am unable to boot it with the latest release, 1.0.9.
I have created a new 8 gig flash drive with the 1.0.9, but the machine that runs fine with the updated 1.0.6 just beeps, and tries to recover the old, original OS when booted with the new 1.0.9.

Downloaded the 1.0.9 version 5 different times.
The SHA1 sum matches, flash drive is created successfully, on a Kali laptop and a Kali desktop I can see what is on the flash drive, but it will not boot the Chromebook. The flash drive file / folder structure on the 1.0.9 is quite different from the 1.0.6.

As far as I can tell, the posted 1.0.9 release ARM HP Chromebook image is not working with the original HP Chromebook hardware.

agmand
2014-10-03, 04:57
By default downloaded files on the HP Chromebook go into the Downloads directory.
I have downloaded, decompressed and wrote the image to a flash drive on a Kali laptop.
When you define the output, please be VERY careful, make sure "/dev/sdb" is your flash drive, and you are not overwriting some other drive!
You might want to check the Kali version as well: I have installed version 1.0.6 last year, and keep updating it. Works well, with the limited available tools.
However, I had no success with the latest version, 1.0.9.
I have downloaded it at least 5 times, the SHA1 sum checks out, the image is created successfully, but my original HP Chromebook 11 will NOT boot with it.