PDA

View Full Version : install kali + virtualBox + separate partitions

oliv66
2013-03-16, 13:27
Hello,

I installed kali with success the second time. I noticed that if I choose to have a /home separate partition, the installation process failed completly. So I used the default option (no separate partition). Please note I am under Oracle VirtaulBox.

Any other user has found this issue?

Regards,

Olivier

brav0hax
2013-03-16, 19:56
I too had issues when using a text installer, setting up encryption with a separate home partition. Both instances were within VBox, one on my Mac and one on my Linux system.

As you stated the weird thing is, if you try again most of the time it will work. I found I had no issues with the graphical install.

If I am able to pinpoint the issue, I will post here. Or if anyone else finds the root cause, please post.

Thanks,
Eric

Topher
2013-04-01, 07:34
Hey guys I had the same problem. Installing kali with a separate /home partition in virtualbox failed with both the GUI and text installer. I tried both installers multiple times and it always failed on the installing system part, right before it asks if you want to use an online repo. I had been on virtualbox 4.2.4 but after experiencing this issue I updated to the latest 4.2.10.

I'm using the 64 bit version and the live disc works great in virtualbox. I even checked the sha1 hash to make sure my iso was good.

I'm running the text installer now with your advice of having no separate partitions and it managed to actually finish the install.

Cheers,
Topher

kpoeticg
2013-04-01, 21:48
Hey guys. I explained in detail how to fix this issue in http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?838-How-To-Create-Seperate-Root-Home-Usr-Var-Tmp-Partitions-in-quot-Graphical-Installation-quot

maverik35
2013-04-03, 20:14
Hello,

I installed kali with success the second time. I noticed that if I choose to have a /home separate partition, the installation process failed completly. So I used the default option (no separate partition). Please note I am under Oracle VirtaulBox.

Any other user has found this issue?

Regards,

Olivier

I have installed Kali with /, /home, swap in HDD intallation and all works great, It fails when trying to use /usr in a separate partition.

With VM, it might fail if using more than one partition (except swap).

My advice: Avoid VM at all time, unless you do not have option.

Only my very own stand point of view.

Luck.