PDA

View Full Version : Alfa AWUS036H issues on Thinkpad E540

fiz
2014-09-20, 11:02
Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble getting a new Alfa WIFI adapter to work. The problem probably doesn't have anything to do with Kali, but maybe someone might have an explanation.
Kali is running on a Thinkpad E540 with an i5 4200m, Windows 7 and Debian are also installed. The same (reconnecting) issue also occurs on Debian and Windows, with different outcomes. The adapter works without any issues on other PCs.

On Windows 7 I get a BSOD after about 3 minutes of constant connectiong and disconnecting. iusb3xch.sys, the intel usb 3.0 driver, seems to be the Problem.

Debian just crashes after a few minutes.

On Kali the Adapter just reconnects forever.
I was guessing this is some kind of usb-driver problem. I tried disabling usb 3.0 in the BIOS, did a BIOS update, tried different usb ports and reinstalled Kali. Still no luck.
Will post /var/log/syslog from Debian-crash if needed, post too long.

fiz
2014-09-22, 11:51
I tried connecting the adapter through a powered USB-hub - works. are there known problems with the USB-Ports on this Laptop?

Pursuit
2014-09-27, 04:10
I think I have the same problem. I'm trying to use an Alfa AWUS036NH with a Thinkpad t440s running Fedora and get "phy0: Reset Timeout!" Errors in dmesg when I try to do anything at all with the card.

A powered USB hub works fine for me as well.