PDA

View Full Version : just installed nethunter...

Digitalbulletz
2014-10-20, 06:33
on a nexus 7 I bought off Craigslist and man is this thing sweet. I have some questions tho regarding nethunter. Does this thing have all the tools Kali linux does? what type of attacks have you been sucessful with using nethunter? I bought a 2012 nexus 7 with wifi only what's the difference between the one I have and the newest one? Can you only do attacks using an external USB antenna?

tortimer
2014-11-01, 01:10
It doesn't have *all* the tools that Kali Linux does. I'm not positive about that but it seems unlikely. It has many penetration testing tools, however.

Some are outlined on this page: http://nethunter.com/discover/

I have successfully cracked WEP and WPA networks using aircrack-ng on a Nexus 7 2013 running Kali Nethunter. As far as I am aware, yes you need an external usb network card that supports injection. I don't think the Nexus 7 lets you put its default network card into monitor mode.

You also need a USB OTG cable to plug the USB card in as well, because as you know the Nexus 7 only has a micro USB port. (this one looks good because it also has another USB attached to plug in for power http://amzn.to/1pcKXTH )

Most of the differences between the 2012 and 2013 versions of the Nexus 7 are:
- 2012 has a quad-core ARM CPU running at 1.2Ghz and 1GB of DDR3 RAM. (this is significant because Ubuntu Touch isn't available for non-ARM CPU's as far as I know, perhaps there's some workarounds now)
- 2013 has a quad-core Snapdragon CPU running at 1.5GHZ and 2GB of DDR3 RAM.
- 2012's battery is slightly better, not by a lot. About 400 mAh.
- 2013 has a 5MP rear camera and a 1.2MP front camera, while the 2012 only has the 1.2MP front facing camera.

A couple cards that support injection are: Alfa AWUS036NHA, Netgear WG111v3, and D-Link DWA-110. The Netgear is probably the cheapest, the Alfa has the best performance and range, and I don't know much about the D-Link but I'm pretty sure it works.

tortimer
2014-11-01, 01:33
Oh actually, the Nexus 7 2012 version supports injection without any external devices needed. The internal network card is able to go into monitor mode. Neither the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 2013 version have this, so you are lucky!

2rko2rero
2014-11-11, 12:41
Oh actually, the Nexus 7 2012 version supports injection without any external devices needed. The internal network card is able to go into monitor mode. Neither the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 2013 version have this, so you are lucky!

Hi tortimer, I am a noob in kali and android, could you give a detail instruction on how you enable the injection on nexus 7 2012? Appreciate your help, thanks!

binkybear
2014-11-13, 04:50
The n7 2012 supports injection with modified firmware (google bcmon). It does not support it natively.