PDA

View Full Version : fglrx patch for kernel 3.14

SeM
2014-10-25, 19:03
Hi, I've just installed fglrx drivers (apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control), after that when I open amd catalyst center, it says

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

after googleing I found solution for 3.7 kernels, but it is not working properly with my version of kernel... so any solutions?

P.S. Installation completed without any errors

SeM
2014-10-27, 12:12
Ok.. I think I found solution... you need just install a "apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control", and if installing goes with no errors, just run "aticonfig --initial" and when it creates xorg.conf - run glxgears to ensure that the driver works properly. Thats it...

lega99
2014-12-25, 10:26
Ok.. I think I found solution... you need just install a "apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control", and if installing goes with no errors, just run "aticonfig --initial" and when it creates xorg.conf - run glxgears to ensure that the driver works properly. Thats it...
That's the standard procedure for installing drivers, but in this case it does not work. I have ASUS Radeon R7 260x GPU and I can't install AMD drivers at all. I have tried literally 100 times to install the drivers which I needed for the program oclHashCat. I have Kali 1.0.9a 64bit installed, can someone help me with a detail explanation for how to install the AMD drivers. Thanks in advance.

staticn0de
2014-12-27, 10:59
If you only want to install the drivers, follow the guide below up to and including step five:

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?22782-%28Guide%29-Fglrx-AMD-APP-SDK-Pyrit-Cal-for-AMD-Video-Cards

I had a lot of trouble with a 290x card. I'm not sure if you will have the same. Not with the drivers through, the problem was with Cal++.

lega99
2014-12-27, 20:55
@staticn0de

Thank you for the reply but I cannot get GUI at all.
I know for this procedure but after
shutdown -r now
I get a black screen.
I updated grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset radeon.modeset=0"
Done that
update-grub
shutdown -r now
Again I get a black screen
My xorg.conf looks like this

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
I'm guessing the problem may be with kernel because the Kali version 1.0.9a has kernel 3.14 in which the bash exploit is fixed, in Kali version 1.0.9 of kernel bash exploit is present, it says so on Kali's page.